WW I era Colt .45 - Need advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1.) Is it safe to shoot a gun of this age? It's all original as far as I know.
[/quote
I would have a smith check it over first. I have an early '35 Walther that shoots perfectly, but I wont attempt to tell you whats safe and what isnt.
2.) Should I media blast it and have it re-blued? Would that hurt the value?
No, do not refinish or media blast it. THIS WILL REDUCE THE VALUE!
3.) What is it worth?
No idea. Sorry.
4.) Would re-finishing it hurt or help the value?
See answer to #2.
5.) Where's a good place to get some proper wood grips?
I would look into getting era specific grips.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm going take a different stance on it...

if it is indeed a family heirloom, in my eyes... monetary value means nothing to me. If I were to acquire this as an investment, then no, I wouldn't refinish it unless a few conditions apply. Having said that, as a family gun that will never be sold, I personally would prefer to have it refinished to look original, that way it is protected for years to come and wouldn't quite involve as much special care as it does in it's current state.

But again, it is COMPLETELY up to you.

As for grips, are you wanting true original grips? If so, you're going to pay for them... but you can get re-pros for around $30 IIRC. And again... IIRC, being a 1913 gun, it would have had walnut grips, not plastic.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it provided a good clean bill of health from somebody who knows what to look for. My shooting buddy has an original Colt 1911A1 as well (granted, a bit newer) that gets about 1000 rounds a year through it. If you would like, I would be more than happy to go over it with you to do a safety inspection and show you the ins and outs of the 1911 platform. I am no smith, but I know my way around them alright. :)

Cool gun though!

I agree with this completely. In it's current condition, the value is decreased. And if you never plan to get rid of it, I'd check with Colt and see if they would refinish it to it's original look. It'll never gain all of it's value back, but at least it would look original vs. having it parkerized, etc.

And I would definately shoot it, once it's determined to be in good working order. Just think what it would feel like to pull the trigger on that piece of history?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1.) Is it safe to shoot a gun of this age? It's all original as far as I know.

Yes.

2.) Should I media blast it and have it re-blued? Would that hurt the value?

It would definately hurt the value. But if I were keeping it, it would be something I would do. Lillysdad suggested a Turnbull resto, which is an excellent idea.

3.) What is it worth?

I'm no expert but I have seen Pre War 1911s similar to that one in worse condition sell for signifcantly more than $1K.

Very cool gun. Heirloom Precision specializes in using these as base guns for retro builds, pricey but they do beautiful work if you want to go that route.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A simple refinish will destroy the guns value. A full restoration, or custom, stands the chance to increase the guns value, but it comes with a price. An Heirloom Precision job will run a minimum of 4,000 plus the gun, and a Turnbull job would not be much less. Either way, the gun will be worth less than what the bill to perform the work was.

Jeff Scott

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I don't ever plan on selling it. It will be handed down to him, just as my father will do for me. I think for now I will just keep it clean and put a nice set of walnut grips on it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom