XD9 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a couple of used XD9's recently, a 3" and a 4". The 3" operates as advertised, but the 4" has a problem. The slide does not lock open after the last shot. I thought something was wrong when the slide release seemed to be spring-loaded in the wrong direction. The release has to be manually pushed up into the recess on the slide to lock it open at any time. Then, sure enough, it didn't lock open upon firing the last shot. Is this a common problem? Broken spring? Assembled incorrectly? Is it something I can fix myself? Thanks for your help!

jmoney

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
how many rounds through it, and what ammo are you shooting? specifically what grain type.

I know ive seen some issues with with limp wrists and that issue on xds and a few of the gen 4 9mms

if you can post a picture of the spring assembly, that might be telling

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say its definitely not a normal issue, from my experience and others I have seen around the web it is built like a tank.

Was it like this ever since you bought it from the other person or do it just begin to have this problem recentl?. I would venture to say that it is due to the previous owner.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't really think it's an ammo issue. I was shooting Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ RN. I haven't had a problem with them in various other pistols. The pistol appears to have been shot very little, even though I am apparently the third owner. The fellow I got it from says he 'didn't notice' this issue. In field stripping the two pistols and looking at them side-by-side, they are not identical in construction/assembly, so that doesn't really provide any clues. With the slides removed, both slide releases operate alike. I'm not sure which spring assembly you think a pic of might prove beneficial. You cannot see the spring for the slide release at all on the 3" and the spring on the 4" appears to be properly installed. Somebody mentioned that it might be a magazine issue, rather than the pistol. I got one 10-round magazine with it, and the fellow I got it from says he cannot swear that it is the magazine the pistol came with. I have two Springfield magazines on order for it (supposed to be here tomorrow). I'll try it again with those and see if function is the same. Is anybody aware of magazines creating such an issue? BTW - I just got this pistol Thursday, and have fired exactly twelve rounds through it.

H

Harly0368

I have owned quite a few XDs and never had that problem. You also said I got one 10-round magazine with it, and the fellow I got it from says he cannot swear that it is the magazine the pistol came with. Im not for sure but I have not seen a 10 round magazine with the XD9 in the four inch. Definately get the new mags in and see how it does.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK - on the XD mag, the spring in the mag pushes up on the follower which then pushes up on the slide lock with an empty mag. IF, with the mag in, and you pull the slide back, and the slide lock will not go up into the recess - it is most definitely your mag.

Have you looked at the recess in the slide to see if the front edge has been worn smooth, i.e. the slide lock is pushing up but will not stay in the recess.

- your new mag should lock back the gun with an empty mag.
- i got a third party mag and the follow was not made exactly like an XD mag follower and i had this same problem.
- you can have a worn out spring in the mag it may not be putting enough upward picture on the follower
- Springfield does not sell just the follower - i called them about 6 mos ago and was told this.

IF, the slide will not lock back after your last shot -
1. it could be the mag
2. it could be your grip - if you use the thumbs pointed forward grip vs the overlapping thumb grip, the thumb of your right hand (if your right handed) could be riding on TOP of the slide release. After you shoot the last round, and the mag spring/follower is pushing up on the slide release the opposite pressure of your thumb pushing down on the slide release is greater and will keep the slide lock from engaging the recess on the slide.

This is NOT a common problem with XDs. I would not invest in 3rd party XD mags.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy cow, Batman, I feel SO STUPID! My new mags came in today and, guess what, they functioned as advertised. SO, I got to looking at the 10-rounder I got with the pistol, and the magazine follower was in BACKWARDS! Somebody has had the thing apart and put it back together incorrectly, and yes, it will work, but not "as advertised."

Installed INCORRECTLY on the left ...
View attachment 19760

and, CORRECTLY ...

View attachment 19761

Good grief, I feel dumb. Oh, well. It was a learning experience. And, thanks to everyone for their input!

Latest posts

Top Bottom