Yet another "do I need a lawyer" post! Tenant/Landlord issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cavedweller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At the beginning of this month, my wife, 1 yr old daughter, and I left our awesome rent house in the country to move back into town for various reason. We found an apartment that met our needs and budget, signed the lease on 4/1 and paid our first months rent right then per the rental agreement. Moved most everything in on 4/2 and after being hot and sweaty from the move, we discovered that the A/C wasn't working.
It was later in the evening when we finished moving so the office was closed, I reported the issue first thing on the 3rd and the office manager said it probably needed to be charged, but couldn't do add freon or whatever the hell they use now b/c the temp had dropped back down to 70 degrees and by law they couldn't do it until the temp got above 70. They eventually charged it later in the week, but discovered it still wasn't working.
Fast forward to today, I'm still without A/C, the office mgmt has done little if anything to keep me informed of when it will be fixed. I discovered from the maintenance man that the whole A/C will have to be torn out and pipes replaced and that is something their maintenance can't do. I went to the office yesterday to ask the mgmt what the status is and to work out some compensation b/c I've paid a full month for something that I'm not getting. They informed me they will not talk about any kind of compensation with me until after the work is done and that I have to pay the full months rent regardless of mechanical issues per the lease agreement.
I stated the lease agreement also says the complex has 72 hours to make repairs, we are now at 23 days. What, if any, route can I take to A) Get out of my lease or B)Make them compensate me for the month we have gone with out A/C. I refuse to pay them another full month in the current state.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep meticulous records of your interaction/communication(dates/responses/etc) in case you need to force the issue. Is the apartment complex owned by a larger company(contact regional management and get them involved). My neighbour is having a similar issue(notified them on Apr 1 and it is still not fixed) and they told her 75 degrees(she has been forced to keep her dog locked in her bedroom for a while now because she doesn't know when/if they may be coming by). I know mine needs a shot of freon as well(it started running longer and not cooling well end of last year) but I have yet to turn mine on this year.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Soonerwings! My googles aren't very good for anything outside of guns, exotic cars, and celebrity nudes.

No problem. If it were me, I'd try to handle it without a lawyer first. I'd do a little studying of the statutes under title 41, then head to the office and say "hey guys/gals, I'm pretty sure this is what the law says, now let's try to work out something reasonable." It's always cheaper to settle things without a lawyer if possible, and you don't generate negative will.

If the issue needs to be forced, call a lawyer and make sure that you're able to take documentation to him/her so they can build a case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom