YHM Lightweight 9" FF, or MI T9 FF

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Upgrading a friend's AR and he's on a budget - one thing I'm considering is going with a budget Quad-rail. I don't want to skimp too much on this, so my two choices are pretty much down to these two (unless someone knows of another FF quad-rail that's around $100 and is worth paying for).

So far, he's got a DD bargain barrel from Bravo Company, a Spikes BCG, CH, upper, my old Spikes lower (which I think was Matt's over at MAS at one time). I've given him the A2 flash-hider that I got for free from ColtDogg (finally found a use for it besides using it on my P22 man!), and a carbine length gas-tube and he's picking up a YHM low-profile gas block.

So we're looking at one of these two quad-rails, and I know that the YHM doesn't use a standard barrel nut and the jam-nut is a pain in the ass, but is this an issue if I don't need to remove the handguards?

The MI worries me because of some of the MI stuff I've seen friends own that is out of spec (and I won't lie, stories on the net about various issues with QC), but for the most part, what I've heard bad involves moving parts. Not to mention that I have to get a barrel nut in addition to paying $30 or so more dollars for this particular quad-rail.

My question is if you had a budget of under $200 and didn't plan on using this rifle hard enough to hurt an MI or YHM, which would you get (or what other brand of Free Floating if any)?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have not had any problems with Midwest Industries ever.

Neither have I with YHM, though, but I feel that the fit and finish of the MI rails are superior.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking at the YHM for my SBR build right now. I want a DD, but after paying for two stamps, and a can, I may have to go with a YHM for a while til I save some more coin. I talked with Rusty about it, and he said he would have no problem using one on his.

I do not have any personal experience with MI rails, but am like you and read some QC issues with some of their products. Of course, you can always find someone who has had a bad experience with anything.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a YHM rail on the .22 upper that has seen a lot of use. It's anything but a PITA and I would recommend it very highly. It's aneasy install and solid as hell once everything is tightened. It's not as pretty as a Daniel Defense but it costs a 1/3 as much and does it's job very well. YMMV...

progun40

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my YHM free float and haven't had any problems with it. I haven't had a MI rail but I do have one of their rear sights and I have never had any trouble with it.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have used YH when they first came out without any problems and the MI when they first came out without any problems. I personally liked the MI better because of the feel. MI, like other companies, can put out a bad piece now and then but they stand behind their product too.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive had 2 sets of mi rails on mine. first set was used with the delta ring, the other thats on there now is there mctar20 i believe. the 2 piece FF carbine length setup. i had to cut off the delta ring to install it but didnt have to jack with removing the barrel and other stuff. for me its great the finish is good and solid as a rock. no movement what so ever unlike the set that uses the delta ring which after i put my fore grip on it started wiggling a little bit. either way you cant really go wrong if on a budget.

I got the 2pc FF setup from vtsupply.com think it was $160 shipped or a little less.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the YHM Diamond rail. Kind of a cross between the lightweight and regular, plus it has a different pattern. If you are using a gas block on a carbine length gas system they have a specter length which covers the gas block, pretty slick.
I've found that if I tighten the jam nut up finger tight about 1/2" before the rail is lined up with the upper and then really crank on with my hand I can get it just as tight as with the YHM tool and they don't end up marred all to hell (been there done that!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom