You know, Ghostbusters is a pretty conservative movie…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just hear me out.

So Murray, Aykroyd, and Ramis' characters get kicked out of a college, at which Murray has worked at throughout his entire career. Aykroyd's character opines on the scariness of the private sector, and how people actually expect results when you're being paid, unlike working at the university. They're kicked off campus by a stuck up, close-minded intellectual after their government funding was revoked.

But they have an idea… an idea along the lines of the American Dream.

They gather their resources and work hard to establish a small business ridding the city of ghosts. They develop technologies and market their skills to the public. They work their asses off pulling what I assume are 60 hour weeks in order to bring home the bacon. And when they reach that magical level of success, when all their work has finally paid off for them, who comes and tries to destroy it all?

The Environmental Protection Agency.

The EPA rep gets a warrant and cease and desist letter, barges in, and, in the course of doing what he thinks is right as part of his just and righteous cause, he makes things astronomically worse because of his stupidity and unwillingness to listen to the business owners. From there… a cluster-shut-yo-mouth.

i1248.photobucket.com_albums_hh494_gunsandlights_personal_ghostbusters3716.jpg

Thoughts?

ExtremistPullup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 morgages On a house his mother left him at 19% interest.

"The interest rate alone for the first five years comes to $95,000."

Very conservative

Also Ray bought a POS car for $4800 (over $9800 in 2009)
That need "suspension work and shocks, brakes, brake pads, lining, steering box, transmission, rear end..., new rings, mufflers, a little wiring...."

Last edited:

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting... I never really noticed that about the movie. It's been a while since I've seen it. However, those things just make it a capitalist movie. There are lots of people who believe in personal responsibility, productive work, are against government regulation who are not conservative. To be a conservative movie, it would also have to support legislating morality and religion. ;)

R. Johnson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
henschman said:
Interesting... I never really noticed that about the movie. It's been a while since I've seen it. However, those things just make it a capitalist movie. There are lots of people who believe in personal responsibility, productive work, are against government regulation who are not conservative. To be a conservative movie, it would also have to support legislating morality and religion. ;)

I gotta disagree. You're certainly right about it being capitalist, but capitalism is synonymous with fiscal conservatism. Morality and religion are social issues. It's possible to be a social liberal and a fiscal conservative, and vice versa.

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think that storyline has anything at all to do with being "conservative".

Frankly, I personally wish people would stop trying to rathole people and agendas into the "conservative" and "liberal" constructs.

We're all Americans, free men with free intellectual choice in how to believe of a multitude of different issues. There are not simply two canned sets of beliefs to choose from, and as such it's folly to try and categorize single issues in terms of only two sides of a single fence.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not only that, the city was overrun with illegal ghost immigrants, which they were rounding up, because they were disrupting American commerce. Of course the Feds used a loophole to obstruct their enforcement of immigration code.

Am I doing it right?

Latest posts

Top Bottom