You OKC area folks remember when KOMA was the boss.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People have said they could hear it in the clothes dryer and garage door and some got music in their mouth when wearing braces.

That's what happens when you have 50,000 watts of electromagnetic energy coursing through the air.

My best friend lived within sight of the KOMA antennae,,,
He hung a tin pie plate on their screen door,,,
Got as clear a sound as my car radio,,,
Tinny, but loud and clear.

There were a lot of folk who were afraid of that,,,
The FCC always said it was "safe", but,,,
How would they know long term?

Aarond

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
WKY with Danny Williams was my growin up station because we couldn't get KOMA at the farm.

When KWHP FM in Edmond came out, I switched to the FM stereo signal. I saved up and as a freshman in HS, bought a Radio Shack receiver and LAB 400 turntable.

I was poopin in tall cotton with stereo!

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listened yesterday on my way back west and lost signal in between Weatherford and Clinton. I kept thinking that back in high school days (80's) that all they played was old people music. They say people don't change but now I think it is a great station. :)

CoronaBorealis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the '80s, I lived with a gal that had house a couple of blocks from the tower on SW 4th in Moore. That radio station would literally play over the phone lines she had in the house!! Was never loud --- just soft in the background.

I lived in that neighborhood Plaza Towers which did have KOMA on the phone.
You could take a florescent light bulb and walk between the towers and it would lightly glow.

Middle tower used during the day then the other 2 were fired up at night and you can listen to KOMA in Japan and Hawaii.

Towers have been removed for some time.

People have said they could hear it in the clothes dryer and garage door and some got music in their mouth when wearing braces.

I used to be acquainted with a guy who grew up in Moore, and he said he could hear KOMA when he opened their fridge.

Wonder how many folks from that era ended up with cancer? Radio waves are at the low end of the electromagnetic spectrum, but if we’re talking enough power to make tin plates and refrigerators play music 😳

Latest posts

Top Bottom