Your bottled water may not be hydrating you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@sh00ter That mineral suplement you linked to I researched it and well.
found this and other things.

Customer Review​

B

1.0 out of 5 stars Banned by California Courts without a Prop 65 warning, because it has carcinogens.
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on February 24, 2019
Flavor Name: Blueberry-PomegranateSize: 30 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
I was looking at the ingredients list, and found out that this product contains cancer causing heavy metals. The manufacturer of the offending ingredient "ConcenTrace" has been sued and had a judgment placed against them, requiring them to either remove the toxins, apply a prominent warning, or cease allowing distribution to California. Details are below.

One of the ingredients is "ConcenTrace", made by Trace Minerals Research LC. ConcenTrace is a concentrated mineral residue product made by evaporating water from the Utah salt lakes. The manufacturer reports on their website that ConcenTrace contains various carcinogenic heavy metals including: Arsenic, Lead, Beryllium, Cadmium, and Mercury. (To see the unabridged ingredients list, search for: "ConcenTrace ingredients lead")

Trace Minerals Research was sued in 2014 (case number: RG14735532), by the Environmental Research Center in the public interest, in the Superior Court of California in Alameda, for failing to warn customers about the carcinogenic and toxic ingredients in their products. The court ordered Trace Minerals Research to either remove the toxins, or to apply a warning to their products, or to stop selling their products in California. Copied below is an excerpt from the court judgment.

"INJUNCTIVE RELIEF, REFORMULATION, TESTING AND WARNINGS
3.1 Beginning on the Effective Date, Trace Minerals shall be permanently enjoined from manufacturing for sale in the State of California, “Distributing into the State of California,” or directly selling in the State of California, any Covered Product which exposes a person to a “Daily Exposure Level” of more than 0.5 micrograms per day when the maximum suggested dose is taken as directed on the Covered Product’s label, unless it meets the warning requirements under Section 3.2."

Some of their liquid drops also have heavy metals in them.
Not for me.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mountain Valley Spring Water from Hot Springs Arkansas is the best water I've ever had. I like in their glass bottles. Always bring a few cases home when I go there. I also have found it at Sprouts from time to time.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bottle water is either SPRING, DISTILLED or DRINKING water.

DRINKING water municipal tap water from wherever the bottling plant is.

When buying bottled water, look for SPRING water. Having a deep water well is second best.

I worked with a moron that would buy Smart Water from the vending machines at work. $3 per bottle, 4 bottles per shift.

I asked him, several times, if he really thought it worked? He never figured it out.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ozarka comes from a tap in Texas now and is processed just like many other waters so it is also a no go.

This bad tasting water deal has sent me down a deep rabbit hole.
I appreciate all the informative posts guys.
I use the walmart brand "Spring" water and it comes from a spring but i believe is still RO or some other purification so probably missing some of the minerals. I may eventually go back to making my own mineral water with the drops and distilled or regular RO water.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@sh00ter That mineral suplement you linked to I researched it and well.
found this and other things.

Customer Review​

B
1.0 out of 5 stars Banned by California Courts without a Prop 65 warning, because it has carcinogens.
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on February 24, 2019
Flavor Name: Blueberry-PomegranateSize: 30 Count (Pack of 1)Verified Purchase
I was looking at the ingredients list, and found out that this product contains cancer causing heavy metals. The manufacturer of the offending ingredient "ConcenTrace" has been sued and had a judgment placed against them, requiring them to either remove the toxins, apply a prominent warning, or cease allowing distribution to California. Details are below.

One of the ingredients is "ConcenTrace", made by Trace Minerals Research LC. ConcenTrace is a concentrated mineral residue product made by evaporating water from the Utah salt lakes. The manufacturer reports on their website that ConcenTrace contains various carcinogenic heavy metals including: Arsenic, Lead, Beryllium, Cadmium, and Mercury. (To see the unabridged ingredients list, search for: "ConcenTrace ingredients lead")

Trace Minerals Research was sued in 2014 (case number: RG14735532), by the Environmental Research Center in the public interest, in the Superior Court of California in Alameda, for failing to warn customers about the carcinogenic and toxic ingredients in their products. The court ordered Trace Minerals Research to either remove the toxins, or to apply a warning to their products, or to stop selling their products in California. Copied below is an excerpt from the court judgment.

"INJUNCTIVE RELIEF, REFORMULATION, TESTING AND WARNINGS
3.1 Beginning on the Effective Date, Trace Minerals shall be permanently enjoined from manufacturing for sale in the State of California, “Distributing into the State of California,” or directly selling in the State of California, any Covered Product which exposes a person to a “Daily Exposure Level” of more than 0.5 micrograms per day when the maximum suggested dose is taken as directed on the Covered Product’s label, unless it meets the warning requirements under Section 3.2."

Some of their liquid drops also have heavy metals in them.
Not for me.
Apples contain trace amounts of heavy metals...probably so do some "sea salts". I believe the key is how much you are intaking. I have done heavy metal blood testing in the past and mine were within range. But yeah, nothing is perfect...tap water also contains chemicals and such. California also is liberal and has warnings at Starbucks that their coffee causes cancer.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're doomed to live on city water like me, then I recommend the APEC RO filtration systems with the remineralizer. If you're an avid water-buyer this will pay itself off in a a month or two.
I did not know they made an option for re-mineralization on RO systems? Is that a "conditioner"?

I almost bought one from this company in the past but didn't and now I see the price has the Biden premium compared to where they were when I looked at them :(

https://www.aquasana.com/

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not a chemist that can explain in detail why water robs minerals from whatever host it is running through, but it does.

It was explained to me by a degreed chemist that the molecules in pure water don't "play well alone". That they like to play with other molecules so they will "kidnap" them and won't let them go easily. Truly pure water will latch onto other all sorts of other molecules even to the point of grabbing some gasses out of the air. Water is the most powerful solvent on earth. Quite literally...

The finishing shop I worked in had an extremely elaborate water system, aerospace finishes require it. We treated the water coming in and then had to clean it as it went out. It started with city water. That went through a sand filter, a carbon filter, had a miniscule amount of muriatic acid injected into at the RO filter inlet, into the RO filter (which could do 15,000 gallons per day), and then through a couple of deionization canisters. We had storage tanks for both RO and DI water. We sent our water out for testing monthly and also checked with some special litmus strips on site. Our RO water was naturally not as good as the DI but it was close. Total dissolved solids is a quick and dirty glimpse of overall water quality and it was always close to 6 for our RO. DI would be a straight up ZERO. City water from OKC was actually pretty good at about 35-60 depending on time of year and usually at the lower end of that. That was years ago, so I have no idea what it is now. The lab tech at the lab we sent ours to told me that "you should see what some small towns send in, it'll shock you". Those are almost certainly sourced from wells. We had our sand, carbon and DI canisters switched out monthly.

Cleaning the hexavalent chromium out was either by chemical precipitation and filter press or vacuum distillation. Both processes were very interesting to watch happen. In school I could never stay awake in chemistry class. Chemistry books put me right to sleep. But when you get into a lab and start actually doing stuff and it's pretty freaking cool. 😎

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was explained to me by a degreed chemist that the molecules in pure water don't "play well alone". That they like to play with other molecules so they will "kidnap" them and won't let them go easily. Truly pure water will latch onto other all sorts of other molecules even to the point of grabbing some gasses out of the air. Water is the most powerful solvent on earth. Quite literally...

The finishing shop I worked in had an extremely elaborate water system, aerospace finishes require it. We treated the water coming in and then had to clean it as it went out. It started with city water. That went through a sand filter, a carbon filter, had a miniscule amount of muriatic acid injected into at the RO filter inlet, into the RO filter (which could do 15,000 gallons per day), and then through a couple of deionization canisters. We had storage tanks for both RO and DI water. We sent our water out for testing monthly and also checked with some special litmus strips on site. Our RO water was naturally not as good as the DI but it was close. Total dissolved solids is a quick and dirty glimpse of overall water quality and it was always close to 6 for our RO. DI would be a straight up ZERO. City water from OKC was actually pretty good at about 35-60 depending on time of year and usually at the lower end of that. That was years ago, so I have no idea what it is now. The lab tech at the lab we sent ours to told me that "you should see what some small towns send in, it'll shock you". Those are almost certainly sourced from wells. We had our sand, carbon and DI canisters switched out monthly.

Cleaning the hexavalent chromium out was either by chemical precipitation and filter press or vacuum distillation. Both processes were very interesting to watch happen. In school I could never stay awake in chemistry class. Chemistry books put me right to sleep. But when you get into a lab and start actually doing stuff and it's pretty freaking cool. 😎
Simply put.water is a solvent,one of the best, any polar molecule will do solve in water and any ironically bonded compound will ionized in water. The PH scale is a measure of how many H+ or OH- are available from a given compound mixed with water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom