2013-14 Deer Season Success

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went bow hunting on Thursday morning and about 0615 I could make out a good buck and see a nice rack on him with my binoculars. I could see he had a kicker that went straight out one side. It was too early to be slinging an arrow. I was forced to watch him walk away. I was heart broken. I sat till nearly noon in the stand hoping to see him again. I saw many deer. I actually saw 4 bucks before legal shooting time. Just before the front moved in, I moved to my pick up to take an hour and half nap and charge the cell phone. I moved to a different stand because of the changing wind. I watched several deer that evening, but the one I wanted never came by.

I was in stand Friday morning at 0530 and once again before legal shooting time, I could make out 2 bucks in the food plot. I sat in silence watching the bucks through my binoculars feed and meander around before leaving. As the sky brightened several doe came in as well as a couple bucks. The 10 point buck chased the does all morning grunting and running sure entertained. About 9:00 o'clock, Big Nasty stepped out on the food plot at just over 100 yards away. I glassed him and immediately knew he was the one! I watched as he grazed slowly across the food plot but appearing that he would pass by at over 75 yards away. I took the moment to enjoy the time I had to watch him and calm my nerves. I took several pictures as he walked and grazed. Then, I decided, I wasn't going to give up...I cupped my hands around my mouth and made a short doe bleat. He acted like he never heard it. The wind was howling hard, so I cupped my hands and tried for a little louder doe bleat. He stopped to look around shortly, but then continued on slowly grazing. I decided to really get some noise behind the next one and he stopped in his tracks and turned toward me. Ears turned to pick up any sound. A small 6 point came out of the trees, and out the food plot. I bleated one more time and the 6 point was locked in and coming at a trot. Big Nasty, looked like he wasn't having any part of it and he started trying to catch up. I was quick to make sure my arrow was nocked and grabbed my range finder. 88, 76, 68, 62, 58!!! Oh this is really happening! 51, 47, 44, 41, 38, 35!!! I put the range finder down, and pulled back to full draw. The buck had stopped and turned broadside and I quickly looked to make sure my string wasn't going to slap the fat man coat and clothes I was wearing. I touched my release sending an arrow his way. I don't know if I pulled it, or the wind carried my arrow, but it hit high and nailed the spine. Dropping him in his tracks. I had to do something quick, I knew he wasn't going to run away, but yet, I thought he was surely going to get up and disappear! I knew I had to get another arrow in him and fast! I quickly grabbed and arrow out of the quiver and sent another to anchor my buck!
View attachment 33889

Dude. That is a stud. Great deer and story to go with it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom