AK 47 Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmunch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have decided I want an AK47 the problem is I know nothing about them. My budget to start is under 1000.00 and I'm looking for pointers. What to look for and what to stay away from

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for something to use or for an investment? Also do you have a choice between calibers 556, 545, 762. The cheaper Romanians work real good. A lot of people bash them but they are a good bang for the buck.

Any of the ak-papa or N-paps of Serbian Or Yugo make are good.

Old commie Chinese guns are more for collecting. People put a premium on them because they've been banned for 20+ years.

The Russian Saigas were a pretty good value but now everybody's gone crazy over them because of the new executive order import ban. So in all actuality the Sega's aren't that good of a deal anymore.

If you get a gun and 762 the mags are fairly cheap and plentiful
If you get one and 545 the mags are getting kind of pricey nowadays
If you get one and 556 the mags are extremely expensive

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SSP has a few good deals on AK's for $529-549 right now. I like Yugo AK's O-pap or N-pap for the money. Prices on them are decent right now,better get ya one or two....

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oi42.tinypic.com_vhf1ht.jpg

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive owned most of the common akm's from norinco to century wasrs and yugos to arsenal. I have a milled bulgarian sam7r that I paid $1050 for and to be honest it doesnt really shoot any better than a $500 wasr. I really like the chinese ak's, they are blued instead of coated black and tend to have really smooth actions. They also have chrome lined barrels but many of the wasrs do as well so its not a big distinguishing factor. Their stamped receivers are also about 3 x's more thick than other AKMs. None of the yugo/serbian guns have chrome lined barrels and dont have interchangeable furniture with other euro AKs. Look for the triangle arrow mark on the front trunion of any wasr you buy also the guns that have romarm/cugir on the receiver tend to be better built. Always look at the front sight to make sure it isnt canted as it is a common issue. As others have said you need to give more info on what your plan is with the gun. For shtf or general fun gun...any will do. Investing...saigas will be the norinco and polytech of the future. They are also really well made ak variants but require some work and extra money to put into traditional ak form.

Camach

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
SSP has a few good deals on AK's for $529-549 right now. I like Yugo AK's O-pap or N-pap for the money. Prices on them are decent right now,better get ya one or two....

SPP?

I'm no expert but I'd agree and say that the OPAPs/NPAPs are great deals for the money but one con to them is they don't accept traditional furniture or accessories.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Saiga in 7.62x39 and really like it. Only thing I would trade it for is a Mini 30 and that is only because I prefer wood stocks and rear peep sites.

Latest posts

Top Bottom