Big dog suprise!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think people tend to be too emotional about dogs (in both directions).
Bad owners can make a good dog turn bad. ...And sometime good dogs just go bad. It happens.
Was it the breed? Was it the owner? Can you divide the factors in a unbiased manner?

'Shootin for fun' gave a very good article. Anybody read the article? Or more interesting, read the source material.
How about the article 'Vet Med today' from 2000. LINK See tables 1 and 2.
There's a 20-YEAR study reviewing dog-bites and the respective breed (many breeds/many owners).
The article shows Pitbull-types and Rottweiller topped the charts by a significant margin.

This is a statistical review, OVER 20 YEARS, which covers many breeds, and (inherently) also covers many types of owners (good/bad/mediocre).
The statistics seems to indicate there's something going on. That doesn't mean every Pit/Rott is bad, but there is a significantly higher probability that something may go wrong.

So if your argument is that it's the owner or the animal (Pit/Rott) - but never the breed as a whole.
...Well, your argument doesn't seem to match the study. So please provide your *DATA* to justify your position.

Should we kill the breed? Probably not. But the study definitely shows certain breeds are more risky than others.
But you could certainly put laws in place to discourage bad owners from wanting those breeds or require stricter safety measures.
Maybe Impose stricter laws on owners to carry a minimum insurance coverage. Stricter laws enforcing taller fences. Etc....

Thanks Shootin...

A background check to own a pit would eliminate much of the problem. Hell, we have to go through one of those to own an inanimate object guaranteed us by the constitution.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think people tend to be too emotional about dogs (in both directions).
Bad owners can make a good dog turn bad. ...And sometime good dogs just go bad. It happens.
Was it the breed? Was it the owner? Can you divide the factors in a unbiased manner?

'Shootin for fun' gave a very good article. Anybody read the article? Or more interesting, read the source material.
How about the article 'Vet Med today' from 2000. LINK See tables 1 and 2.
There's a 20-YEAR study reviewing dog-bites and the respective breed (many breeds/many owners).
The article shows Pitbull-types and Rottweiller topped the charts by a significant margin.

This is a statistical review, OVER 20 YEARS, which covers many breeds, and (inherently) also covers many types of owners (good/bad/mediocre).
The statistics seems to indicate there's something going on. That doesn't mean every Pit/Rott is bad, but there is a significantly higher probability that something may go wrong.

So if your argument is that it's the owner or the animal (Pit/Rott) - but never the breed as a whole.
...Well, your argument doesn't seem to match the study. So please provide your *DATA* to justify your position.

Should we kill the breed? Probably not. But the study definitely shows certain breeds are more risky than others.
But you could certainly put laws in place to discourage bad owners from wanting those breeds or require stricter safety measures.
Maybe Impose stricter laws on owners to carry a minimum insurance coverage. Stricter laws enforcing taller fences. Etc....

Thanks Shootin...

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe if you idiots researched the pit breed you would have an idea what the hell you are talking about. To say an entire breed needs to be put down is a completely asinine and makes you a *********. Pits are not naturally human aggressive and one that hasn't been abused, mistreated, inbreed by stupid breeders wont "just snap" and turn on a human.
ya, i guess that family should have researched the breed before taking a walk. Ive done my research and i dont want to take a chance owning a POS breed like that, call me whatever you like.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Both of the major dog attacks I've seen with bad trauma have been rots on kids. I still don't like or trust pits, though, either.

At St. Francis,I've seen more pitbull attacks than any other breed.Their attacks are always more "destructive" than other breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom