Car carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As usual, we're dealing with a poorly written law. Based on the above, if you read this exerpt:

"For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.",

it "seems" to say that the weapon must be in a case.

There is a lot of interpretation involved. I would be very careful as to how you read it. My guess is that if they want to make life hard for you, they can, no matter how you handle the law. Best to get a Concealed Carry Permit.

Based on my reading of this section and before I had a CCW, I would always clear chamber, pop out magazine, and place magazine in door pocket and handgun on dashboard. When leaving car, I would just move gun to trunk. When coming back to car, move from trunk to dash and go on about my business. I interpreted each of those commas as being a different way the law could be satisfied. But, IANAL, YMMV, Get a CCW

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to read it that way, but I don't know if commas work like that in this context. I just don't know.

Well I wondered about that too but then I realized that its actually impossible to satisfy all the conditions for car carry if you don't read it like that. As for brandishing a firearm if its just laying on your dash, I'm not sure how it would be any different than having a rifle in a rack behind you

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the replies, I'm really looking forward to visiting Oklahoma. I guess i will unload my handgun and put the mag in the glove box. Any place to go shooting in Norman or do I have to go to OKC?

dutchwrangler

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom