Car Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All,

My old Toyota is having a problem and its driving me nuts.
The car will not crank, but makes just one 'click'. This leads me to believe solonoid issue. I changed out all the solonoid contacts and plunger with a new kit.
It jumps just fine... every time. This leads me to think bad battery. I had it tested and Auto Zone said it was fine.

So, do you think Autozone did a poor test on the battery, or did the solonoid rebuild just not work?

Thanks!!!

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had batteries test ok before and then when you do replace them the car starts fine.
I always jump started the car then drove it down and they tested it.
You might try pulling the battery out next time it just goes click and test it before it has any opportunity to charge.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a battery work fine when on level ground, but fail when on an incline. Something to think about.

The test to see if its your solenoid or the starter is to take a jumper cable when it won't start and go straight from the battery positive cable to the cable where it enters the starter.
If the starter runs, its the solenoid. If it doesn't run, it could still be your battery. Find a spare battery and test the starter again with a jumper cable.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This happened to my tundra. The battery checked good, and everything looked good.
I ended up swapping batteries, and it stayed with the Tundra.
Just for kicks, I used a wire brush on the inside of the battery terminal posts, that fixed it.
Drove me nuts for a while though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom