Deer Season 2014

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didnt start seeing deer til around 11am this morning. Had a doe bring a nice buck by me twice but I wasnt sure i wanted to tag out on him. Just couldnt get a good enough look at the rack. Looked like a 120-125 inch deer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Drove to Seiling and back today, quit a few doe feeding here and there after first light, that's the only deer seen on the trip. No bucks, no chasing, no road kill and and took two different routes coming and going.

huntemup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With all due respect, I believe Okie gave more than 120% effort in his tracking/searching. If the deer didn't lie down and die (it doesn't appear that happened) I doubt a tracking dog would have found it either. It could have made it easier to stay on trail, but without proof (blood, leg dragging marks, jumping the deer) I would be suspect of the dog tracking abilities and would search high and low all over.

I'm guessing you've not been around too many trained tracking dogs. I wasn't questioning the OP's effort. Clearly he did the best he could or any person could for that matter. But to put human limitations on a dog that is trained for such a task is crazy talk.

BTW, I'm from NC where in many counties, Walker hounds run deer through blocks of woods where "hunters" are sitting on their dog boxes and truck tops waiting to open fire. A tracking dog is not to be confused with that sort of chaos.

I've always trained my dogs to track and have used everything from mini dachshunds and beagles to pit bulls and boxers. Always tethered.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been seeing tons of them out grazing the last couple days. Don't know if they're recovering from the last cold spell or getting ready for the next one. But they sure seemed brave.

Sent from Missile Silo 341A

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's been a 9 year dry spell, but my brother finally connected with a good one this evening. I don't have the "glamour shots" yet, but here's a couple pictures of him on the hoof. My son rough scored him at 157 1/4.
IMAG1580.jpgIMAG1520.jpg

I guess you could say my youngest son "guided" my brother this year on his annual OK hunting trip, and he bagged a dandy after 9 years of going home empty handed.
IMG_0956 (Large).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom