DSA FAL SA58 Tactical Para

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i've never been real big on the SCAR but those are probably great rifles just not my personal preference.

I was the same way for a long time. I like the ruggedness of the FAL and always pictured them as NATOs answer to the AKM. Its a big hammer of a weapon, a man's rifle if you will haha.

But the SCAR is just so superior. Just as reliable, lighter than even an AR10, more accurate, better iron sights, etc...It may seem like just another plastic fantastic but it too is a heck of a hammer.

I say buy the FAL and shoot it for a while. If you don't end up liking it then sell it...like mentioned before FALs go up in price every day it seems.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpgimage.jpg
With an ARMS mount, optics are easly installed.
DSA mounts are Solid but once installed, consider them permanent.
FAL's can be harder to get running than an off caliber AR.

Last edited:

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
View attachment 53414View attachment 53413
With an ARMS mount, otics are easly installed.
DSA mounts are Solid but once installed, consider them permanent.

Nice group of FALs; I dig that 30 round mag - I need one of those. They are one of my favorite rifles, though it's hard to pick a favorite. I'd love to have a SCAR17, but can't justify (or afford) one. The FAL will have to do, and I don't feel slighted in the least.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
image.jpg

200yds, 5 shot group.
8X Leupold
21" barrelled STG 58
HP-74 surplus ammo, ammo fed from 20 round mag.
55 degrees, no wind
Probably the best 5 shot group I have ever shot with any of my FAL's.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Couple 5 shot groups from 100yds

Last edited:

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have first hand experience with one of these, just curious about accuracy, reliability etc?

http://www.armslist.com/posts/51016...or-sale--fal-sa58-tactical-para---never-fired

I had that exact rifle. TLDR; Avoid like the plague.

People ***** about the short gas system but a short gas system with a 16" barrel has the same dwell time as the 20" barrel on the long gas system so it works out. In that regard, the regard of I put bullets in the friggin' magazine and it shoots, it was very, very reliable.

Wherei t ****ing sucked for reliability was that DSA makes some completely crap small parts that aren't worth a ****.

It was down four times within the first 400 rounds. The first time, the hammer sheared in half after the first 28 rounds. The second time, it was chugging along like a sewing machine and the springs went to **** on me and the gun kept short stroking until finally the springs were just ruined. You know how hard it is to track down a milspec FCG and parasprings? Next the cocking knob broke off in my hand, and I repalced it with one of those folding cocking knobs. The bolt carrier begin to peen and wear early, so needed a new one of those. Again, went milspec over DSA. Finally, I got it running enough where I could finish zeroing it.

Coulnd't zero it at 50 without cramming everything down as far as it would go and it was still off about an inch. Had the front sight bottomed out. Thought ah hell it's no big deal, I got this here fancy ass top cover, imma just put a good optic on it. Bought a Leupold Mk 4 MRT 1.5-5, put it on there in some Leupold medium rings. Got the eyerelief set just right. Made a custom cheek riser for it. It was legit, until I shot it, and the first three rounds binged the hell out of the windage knobs of my thousand dollar scope. Much swearing ensued as I took the optic off and put an Aimpoint PRO from one of my ARs on it. Still hit the optic with brass. Okay let me turn the gas down. Oh now it's hitting the friggin' lense insteado f the optic, and not reliable. Okayl et me turn the gas up. Oh loook at that ding on my Aimpoint! Okay okay...lets move the aimpoint as far back as It'll go. Oh look still doing it!

I could not find a way to satisfactorily mount an optic on this rifle at all, that and the myriad of small parts issues I had, I said to hell with it.

As an iron sighted battle rifle of moderate accuracy, it was great. But that's all it'll ever be. Save the money and put it towards a "dream" AR-308. Mags are cheaper/better and parts are way easier to find.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As an iron sighted battle rifle of moderate accuracy, it was great. But that's all it'll ever be. Save the money and put it towards a "dream" AR-308. Mags are cheaper/better and parts are way easier to find.

Or hold out and look for a Springfield-imported SAR-48 or SAR-4800. I've read for some time that once DSA ran out of European surplus, that their quality slipped; lost of MIM parts, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom