Getting home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One reason why my fat ass lives a mile from where I work. I can walk and/or drive that to get back home to my supplies. Once there, I am bunkering in as best I can.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One reason why my fat ass lives a mile from where I work. I can walk and/or drive that to get back home to my supplies. Once there, I am bunkering in as best I can.

Not really an option for me right now. Hopefully, it will be soon. Live in Perkins, work in OKC, martial arts school in Stillwater. I make a nice round trip every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm late to the discussion, but the first thing that jumped out at me was 50 miles and a two day pack. We talking on foot here? Walking flat out 50 miles in two days is very doable, but in a SHTF situation with detours, tactical pauses, meal breaks, obstacles etc...one might be smarter to pack for at least three days.

That caught my attention, too.

OP, do you plan to drive out of the civil unrest or walk? If driving, remember, the highways and main streets will clog first, side streets won't belong after that. Are you prepared to ditch your car if necessary? If so, try to plan somewhere at least relatively safe that you can park it. Parking garage, friend's house, whatever. Be prepared to have to bring a fuel can when you go to retrieve your car.

How far can you walk? How fast do you walk? Now add another 20 or so pounds (your 2-day get home bag). How far can you walk? How fast can you walk? If you have a smart phone, there are plenty of pedometer apps, including free ones. Some of them will go so far as to tell you not only the number of steps you've taken, but your average speed.

Without a load, I walk about 2.5 miles per hour over mostly even ground (average human speed is 3.1 miles per hour, but I have bad knees and short legs). I work 25 miles from home. If I can maintain that average of 2.5 miles per hour, it'll take me 10 hours to get home. I'm pretty sure I can't maintain 2.5 miles per hour for 10 hours. If I'm really lucky and/or motivated, I might manage it for 5.

Figure, though, that it takes a bit over 16 hours to walk 50 miles at the human average of 3.1 miles per hour. If you walk that fast, which most people can't if they're carrying a backpack full of gear, you're still not going to walk for 16 hours straight unless you're not only in amazing shape, but used to walking for long periods of time. If you're like me and have short, stubby legs and can only walk 2.5 miles per hour, you're looking at 20 hours of walking instead of 16.

Consider, too, what kind of shoes you wear to work. Are they comfortable to walk in for extended periods? If so, great! If not, hope you've got a good, broken-in pair of comfy walking shoes in your bag.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think he could get quite a ways after a SHTF incident. By utilizing residential streets and rural roads as well as section lines roads you can avoid a lot. You just got to know where you are and what's ahead and not wait too long to make that turn. Too many people get tunnel vision and it limits there ability to react when they should.

pnuner

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second what securitysix said. Walking 50 miles in a couple of days in good times, good weather, GREAT shape with a 20-30# pack is tough if not impossible. Throw in stress, dodging whatever needs to be dodged, bad weather, etc. it may be more like five days on foot.

What I would do is first have SEVERAL vehicle routs out and map them so you don't forget one. Another thing is maybe have contacts say 10-15 miles out (or further that can come in that close when you call) that can pick you up if necessary if you have to walk out from work.

One more thing you might look at is a bicycle. If you have room in your car or a place at work to keep a bicycle you can easily, even in not great shape travel 50 miles in a couple of days on a bicycle.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why just plan it, why not take a couple of days off and just see how far u can walk the route u are thinking of taking with the exact equipment ur planning on having on u when u really need it the more u do it in ur off time the more it will come automatically to u when u need it.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm actually in good shape, but my plan wasn't to make it the entire 50 miles in two days. The scenario I am thinking of would probably require me to walk 10-15 miles to get out of the immediate danger zone. I have to play dress up at work, but I wear pretty comfortable shoes, and I keep my work out clothes with me, so I have good running shoes on hand. If it gets bad before I could drive out, I would just leave my car in the parking garage. The bike idea is pretty good. Do you think it would make a bigger target out of me?

Honestly, I wouldn't want to walk through the neighborhoods now, much less in the situation I'm thinking of. The difference would be necessity.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, I already know pretty much every route out of there. Traffic sucks. I've found probably the least congested way to get home. Mostly residential, and only a couple of stops before I get to I-35

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, I already know pretty much every route out of there. Traffic sucks. I've found probably the least congested way to get home. Mostly residential, and only a couple of stops before I get to I-35

What is the alternative if I-35 is closed or jam packed?

Latest posts

Top Bottom