Getting home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd take over the Popeyes chicken place north of the capitol, run off all the employees, and eat until the SHTF goes away.

One of the biggest targets in the area? I vote for donut shop.

Seriously, get a map book of the area, do a route recce on your choices and look for multiple ways out for each route (no chokepoints, dead-ends, possible defensive positions). Pick three of the best as primary and drive them enough to get a memory imprint. Bug as early as possible, and keep an eye on events that have a potential to go south near the .gov complex (rallies, that kinda thing). Park away from the building and away from any main streets (don't get parking locked and not so close as to get yer vehicle 'rioted'). Move perpendicular to the event and away from population. Stay with the vehicle as long as practicable. Every mile closer is one less to walk.

Above all, stay away from arterials and Interstates. Those are the first routes controlled as response corridors, and the first routes Citizen Smuckatelli clogs. Nice quiet side streets are likely the best way to sneak out.

My dos pesos.

pistolpete2002

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of a friend of mine went through a similar situation. A bike would've came in handy for him because he lost his car, however, he might've lost his bike depending on where he kept it. It was last year in the Moore tornado. He's from Lousiana and doesn't have any family here except a grandma who lived quite a ways away. He couldn't call because cell towers were down, no electricity and his car and apartment was totaled. A BOB would've came in very handy as I believe it took 8-12 hours for him to reach his Grandmas house. Apparently she had tried to drive down to him, but of course the roads were all blocked. It probably took him longer because he was unfamiliar with the area since he's not from around here.

Just goes to show, it does pay to be prepared for certain situations, not just zombie apocalypse or whatever. In this instance it was crazy enough in the main tornado zone you could call it SHTF sitaution.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the alternative if I-35 is closed or jam packed?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I-35 is my route on "normal" days. There are a lot of East west routes to get over to an alternative northern route. Indian meridian goes all the way to 33, hwy 102 goes to wellston, hwy 177 goes to Perkins, sooner rd goes north to the turnpike. Lots of routes. I have had to make use of some of them when we get a "big snow" here. You know an inch or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let's twist it another way:
Why not have "connections" along the way? A predetermined web of folks that would be support to each other in case of SHTF? Having 6 or 12 like minded folks you can trust in an area around work/home.
My issue would be being in the city, and having to get 20 miles back home. If my wife/kids were there, it would be worth it to take the risk and travel, if not, might be better to go to a "safe" house.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what would you suggest as an alternative news source if you keep your television on for the background noise? I've don't watch CNN or MSNBC due to their obvious political leanings.

They are all in bed together. BBC is credible news I think.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more thing you might look at is a bicycle. If you have room in your car or a place at work to keep a bicycle you can easily, even in not great shape travel 50 miles in a couple of days on a bicycle.

The bicycle is a good idea, and if you think you don't have room in your car, look into a folding bicycle. Yes, that's a thing. Google will turn up plenty, and some of them are fairly inexpensive. Some of them come with cargo racks and/or baskets, and you can get cargo racks and baskets for a lot of the ones that don't.

clock152

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
for me I have a 20 mile walk from work to home base... I have to cross the Arkansas river no matter what and the walk will be thru most of Tulsa for the first day or so.... I figure it will take 2 to 3 days to go that far thru heavy traffic area or walking around them so my GHB is set up for 3 days.

Latest posts

Top Bottom