Getting home

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Come up the street to 18th and Lincoln and you can get in my mad max vehicle. I work at ODOT, sw of the capitol.

Sent from outer space or somewhere from my mobile device

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally, if this is a big concern, I'd start mapping out alt routes now and trying them.

Drive the back roads and get familiar with them.

Try walking a mile or two from where you work to an area you can find that is less populated and secure.

Get a map of your area and study it. Any large drainage ditches in the area? Culverts?

Another option in times of SERIOUS problems might be the drainage system in your area. You can't just meander around in it right now I wouldn't think, but you can map it out as an option and follow it above ground to familiarize yourself.

Dave

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
And stay away from I-35! In a SHTF it would be a cluster-f*k! Living in Perkins, it might be a viable - albeit long - route to stay on 10th St. all the way to Harrah then highway 62 to Meeker, then highway 18 north through Chandler to Tryon (four corners) then east to Perkins. These road would likely be much less congested - or at least - easier traveled.

Yeah, I grew up in Chandler so I know the route well.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Too many possible scenarios, but I'll play.

Always keep your gas tank at least half full!

Keep your eyes an ears open and if possible leave before it gets bad.

Who knows if the SHTF will be a gradual buildup or a sudden drastic event?

Start looking NOW for ways.

You may very well have to make a decision to stay put or leave. That's the conundrums of it. There are just too many ways it could go.

Best to just be prepared in advance for any and all possible situations and keep all your options open.

Best option? Don't even be there in the first place! But of course, that's not practical.

Next best option is to NOW start looking and actually taking all possible options in scenarios.

Really good question, thanks for asking and making everyone think.

Or get a helicopter and fly to and from, lol.

Last edited:

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've actually looked at many different driving routes. I know that Indian meridian will go all the way from Choctaw to hwy 33. I'm afraid 10th street might be bad. It has a lot of traffic on "non-riot" days. Usually I take 16th over to 35 to go home. Not much traffic, but it is heavily populated. I like the idea of drainage systems. Is there a way to get a map of those? I have also thought about getting to the north Canadian river. I have family in Shawnee who have property on the river. I could follow it there and then get home. I am mainly thinking about a Rodney King LA riot situation. Not necessarily a complete breakdown of society just a localized situation.

Also, what would be the best way to monitor law enforcement chatter? I had a police scanner app on my phone, but I dont necessarily want to monitor it all day long. Plus , I found it hard to follow. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy, I dunno. GC called me :teehee: and I told all my co-workers on my out. As I passed by the SO's desk (back then Capitol Patrol was still doing security in buildings) he asked me if Scott had called me.

And I'm like you I can't understand a word they are saying. GC says the more you listen to it the easier it gets and you learn to turn out what's not important to you. :scratch: Of course, whoever's talking to him says his badge number first so he's cheating if you ask me ... :wink2:

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not all that familiar with exactly how "bad" OKC is, but in say Dallas or Houston, it would get really bad really quick. In any kind of "SHTF" situation, my recommendation is to get as far away from the city as fast as possible. Granted, I have never experienced it first hand, but from what I understand, there will probably be a short time of general confusion among the population as to what has happened. Before there is a chance for a reaction, get out, and hopefully, you can be far enough away not to get caught in the backlash.

I don't go to church without handgun in my waistband and a get home bag in my truck.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm late to the discussion, but the first thing that jumped out at me was 50 miles and a two day pack. We talking on foot here? Walking flat out 50 miles in two days is very doable, but in a SHTF situation with detours, tactical pauses, meal breaks, obstacles etc...one might be smarter to pack for at least three days.

Any chance of keeping a bike at work? If you are stuck to going on foot, I'd actually go south to the river and follow it NE (I don't know exactly where you live but the river tracks NE to at least 44 and you'll run into less people and have more cover/concealment).

Best chance, working downtown, is avoidance. Read the tea leaves and get gone before anyone else. LOL.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
become mr grey. blend in not stand out, instead of a cammo backpack that screams I HAVE SUPPLIES!!!, switch it out for a basic jansport, MOLLE gear will draw alot of attention. dont switch to bdu's with hiking boots, again look like you belong, jeans and an earth tone tshirt with a light jacket. Be a fly on the wall and slip out where you can. if you look like GI JOE then people are going to be on you like cobra commander!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get a handheld gps. You can find some good deals on the older garmin etrex versions. Extra batteries. Get a map set that shows all the roads including residentials between your work and your home. You can download free map sets off of the internets. Then you can do all kinds of stuff. Mark routes, make waypoints, set up tracks. Knowing where you are and how far it is to your next option or detour is invaluable. Don't rely just on a gps on your phone. Many of those rely on cell phone towers. If those go down you're screwed.

I use mine on trails that I hike on a daily basis. Most of the time it's not because I'm worried about getting lost but I can also track how far and how fast or slow I am moving. I also have one of my data fields that shows sunrise/sunset. That helps a lot for planning.

As for your vehicle it'll do fine. Just keep it full and in good reliable repair.

Latest posts

Top Bottom