I Am Thinking Of Cutting Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true. There is a measurement of signal vs noise, its called Signal to Noise Ratio, or SNR. On digital anything over 32 dB is good and anything over 38 is perfect. You can have a weak signal but as long as the ambient noise is low, it won't make a difference.

That being said, using an antenna that is tuned to UHF will get you a better signal. So if you have an old antenna or rabbit ears and a few channels will pixel now and then, getting a UHF only tuned antenna can clear that up. Now if you are going to split that signal for multiple tv's I would recommend throwing in an amp anyways.
No argument here. My original post mentioned that antennas can be tuned to frequency (wavelength). ;)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd be curious where anyone is still broadcasting analog. DTV is far cheaper to operate with far superior quality.
When we use the antenna I posted earlier and do a channel scan for the region the antenna is pointed at you get a list of the digital channels and the analog channels available.
I'm not versed in the language the analog channels produce.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you know you can get the unlimited data with DirecTV Now? I got a notification from AT&T last week that they were dropping the $30 charge for true unlimited data as I have DirecTV Now. (If you don't know about DirecTV Now, it's an internet streaming version of DirecTV. I have the "Live A Little" package with over 60 channels--including all four of the Tulsa network affiliates-- for $40 a month. Also, DirecTV Now has the closest UI to a traditional cable/satellite box.)

I signed up for the free trial weed with Direct TV Now, we'll see if my 6Mbs DSL can keep up.
Thanks for the heads-up.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't take long to find out our DSL won't support two TV's streaming on firesticks.
I had both TV's on, streaming thru firestick (one on DirectTV Now and the other Prime), plus I was doing some casual browsing on the computer; the tv's were buffering, too bad.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. I don't know if a different device could give you a better result but sometimes it is what it is. At least the test was free.

Sent from my LML413DL using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never had cable Ever..I only watch what comes over the air for free. And I still use my old school 36 element outdoor antenna.
As some of you know I do not have a cell phone either and I just got back from the store and I drove my carburetor fed 1957 chevy 4 door fishing car with NO overdrive and NO choke. But it is 10.87 compression.. That is all the amplifier I need and the view from the seat is great :)
I think I will get another cookie and some whole milk and see what is on TV.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the one on Amazon I have in my cart: Vilso TV Antenna Outdoor Amplified - Motorized 360 Degree Rotation - Digital HDTV Antenna - 150… $42.95. I plan on trying it out on the Direct TV mount after I take the disc off. It'll make a good bird feeder.

Latest posts

Top Bottom