I got a new Marlin 336w for Christmas.....now I need to know...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does the W mean in 336W? I have heard all about the QC issues with Marlin and have hesitated from buying one for that reason. I have wanted a lever gun because I am left handed and have most guns that are not made for lefties eject right back at ya. My wife got it for me for Christmas and it was a complete surprise . She got in on a Black Friday sale as Wal-Mart, save about $70 bucks off the regular price...What I need to know about it is what the best ammo to shoot and some suggestions on a scope for it. I went over it and I can find any sloppy work at all. She bought a box of Winchester ammo 170 gr...so that is what I am starting with. I have looked at some red dot type scopes which interests me because of the size etc. Any help from Marlin owners would be of great help. Thanks in advance.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The W is just the bottom line model of the current Marlins. The QC issues etc are overstated in my opinion. The newer firearms are not as nice as the older guns but I have one from circa 2009 and love it. It hasn't given me any problems. I mounted a Kaspa 3-9x scope on it for deer hunting. I prefer the larger grain bullets like the 170's in my 30-30. Don't worry about what others say and what you hear on the internet. Shoot that rifle and enjoy it!

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need a very large high magnification scope on a 30/30 rifle, and you can list your price range and I can tell you what I recommend. I also think the scopes that look best on lever guns don't have a front objective bell, like a fixed 2.5x or maybe a Weaver 1-3X or leupold VX-I 1-4X.

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_photo2_zpse39a0ef3.jpg

I like my Marlington 336W just fine. The laminate stock has grown on me. I have found that the Remy Core-Lokt 150gr shoot straight for me. I've had 3-9x scopes on my older .30-30s but pulled them off...I'm looking for a 2-7x to go on top of my Glenfield 30A. The 336W has a set of Skinner sights on it.

i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_photo15_zps52b07ba9.jpg

i1324.photobucket.com_albums_u607_jmike314_photo14_zps53ca55d7.jpg

Definitely go on over to the Marlin Firearm Forum and you'll find more information and help than you could ever want.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick answers. I will go over to Marlin Owners. One thing that I caught in reading the specs on the Marlin site was a gold plated trigger. Is this still included, because mine didn't have it.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can find them, try some LeverEvolution ammo through it. They will add another 50 or so yards to your battle point zero.

I've reloaded some for my old Winchester and really like them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom