I remember the good old days of OSA Classifieds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FRISKY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best do that check before you buy ...lol
If you buy it and it turns out stolen, you name is Nancy at that point.
How would someone go about checking to see if the gun was stolen before they actually purchase it? Wouldn't this rule out most FTF gun transactions? A thief isn't going to give any legitimate information that would send him to jail for selling a stolen gun.

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
How would someone go about checking to see if the gun was stolen before they actually purchase it? Wouldn't this rule out most FTF gun transactions? A thief isn't going to give any legitimate information that would send him to jail for selling a stolen gun.
Just meet up at the police station and have them run it while you both wait.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buyer beware
Just meet up at the police station and have them run it while you both wait.
LMAO...yeah, and if they shy away from that meeting, theirs yer sign.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorites are the ones that say "Firm" and then drop in price after a couple of days. Also, the ones that make a threat, like, "If someone doesn't buy this thing right now I'm going to put it back in the gun safe."

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's the shamefully brief version:
- I bought an AR-15 new.
- I sold the AR to a well established member here (I won't reveal his name, but he's no longer here, and currently in prison).
- The next day the AR was used in a crime, and was left at the scene.
- The gun was traced to me in two ways: (a) original buyer paperwork--the feds tracked it down and had a copy of it that I saw, and (b) my fingerprints were on the gun.
- Naturally, the feds had some questions for me.
- They thought I was lying during all the initial questioning (and it was a lot). I had no idea why I was being questioned, for a long time. It got quite scary.
- Once they determined I was telling the truth, and told me what was actually going on, things relaxed a bit.
- In the process, I learned some interesting things about how they were tracking the classifieds on this and other forums, and tracking specific people's buying/selling behavior.
- The moral to this story: protect yourself because you never know when the butterfly effects will come back and bite you.

Serious question... when they started questioning you and wouldn't tell you what it was in regards to, did you ever think about calling a lawyer?

This is part of why I don't sell firearms for the most part, but even so, I think except in some very extraordinary circumstances, it'd be pretty easy for me (my lawyer, actually) to clear me in a situation like this. I mean... besides alibis, you've got motive, my clean record, etc. I'm not overly-worried about it.

"Arrest me or tell me the whole story so I can make sense of it. Otherwise, piss off."

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one that gets called into the FBI on new gun purchase via FFL.
The only information on the 4473 that is submitted to the FBI is your personal information. The information about the gun purchased is added to the form after the "Proceed" or "Delay" is received from the NICS center. Therefore, the only way you are connected tot he gun is by the form sitting in the FFL's safe/file cabinet (or at the ATF if the FFL has left the business as all of his 4473s have to be turned in to the ATF at that point.)

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Serious question... when they started questioning you and wouldn't tell you what it was in regards to, did you ever think about calling a lawyer?

This is part of why I don't sell firearms for the most part, but even so, I think except in some very extraordinary circumstances, it'd be pretty easy for me (my lawyer, actually) to clear me in a situation like this. I mean... besides alibis, you've got motive, my clean record, etc. I'm not overly-worried about it.

"Arrest me or tell me the whole story so I can make sense of it. Otherwise, piss off."

This x1000! There's a very informative lecture on YouTube given by a professor and a LEO on the 5th Amendment. Just Google "Don't Talk to Police". No disrespect to LEOs on here, but it's your right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom