Looking to get into 7.62 in AR Platform What is your favorite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POPIG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several AR 15.s in many manufactures but I am thinking of dropping one or two and getting a full on 7.62 battle rifle. I had a H&K 91 bought in 79 and sold it I know I should be strung up but I did. So I am looking for information on AR style 7.61 I have been looking for 8 months I need some one to show me the directions to go and why they like it. I have looked at gas and piston systems I would like to go local to state. and will need addons

If you know someone I could set down with and sort of order What I want. There does not seem to be a stock rifle out there I like. Only things I want for sure is six position stock and "18 chrome barrel

Please help can't sleep trying to get this one

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Piston system will be heavier, if you want battle rifle I'm surprised at an 18 inch stainless barrel? Or is that just chrome lining? Depends on what you want to do. Laure or GAP or POF have some good "factory" offerings. If not then you can put them together like an ar 15, with more $. I know Mega has some upper and lower sets to start, depending on ammo selection you want at least a 4lb trigger to pop surplus/ cheap ammo.

So you want long range or a light battle rifle?

I have a Noveske 18 inch heavy, and its HEAVY. Sure ain't a battle rifle

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look into the Rock a River LAR 8's. I have personally seen the varmint version punch quarter holes. I have one on the way,....I think fairly affordable and a great platform

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go to Sports World and handle a few of them. Last time I was in there they had half dozen .308/7.62 AR type rifles.
Call FBT and see if they have any. Check 2A for hands on.
Also check or call BPOUTFITTERS.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My favorite is the S&W M&P10. It has a nice light profile barrel instead of a big fat heavy one, which is more suited to a battle rifle. It is not chrome lined, but it is melonite treated, which has all the same advantages of chrome lining while retaining all its accuracy. It takes DPMS/KAC pattern mags, so you can use the Magpul ones. You can get them for around $1300.

Really the only 18" CL barrel I know of are the Criterion barrels that Fulton Armory sells. I have one on my LR-308 and like it just fine. If the M&P 10 had been out when I started this project I probably would have just got one of them though.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on the CMMG SASS? There doesn't seem to be a lot out there and it's hard to find any info on them.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Piston guns aren't always heavy.. Ruger SR762 only weighs 8lbs. Also had a .71moa grouping according to gunblast.

Another good option is the CMMG MK3 CBR. Comes with Geissele trigger.

Both are SR-25 Pattern lowers that accept Pmags, KAC mags, etc..

I wouldn't spend the money on a larue obr, REPR, or KAC 308's or some rifle of that price. Why spend twice the price for the name. 95+% of shooters would get any real world advantages from big name 308 guns like that. Just my opinion.

Also, you may keep an eye in the DPMS GII

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whatever you chose..i would make sure to get an SR-25 pattern receiver. Magazines are the heart of a semi-auto and Pmags are the best running mags I've seen.

Latest posts

Top Bottom