Might be a dumb ? but do you close one eye when you aim?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you've recently made the switch, then make sure to shoot at close and far-away targets (with a handgun).

I grew up shooting one-eye closed and when I got old enough to be taught the proper way to do it, I started shooting handguns with both eyes open (and got where I can switch from shooting dominant or weak-eye with a handgun).

But I still only practiced on turtles in a pond (about 15yds at the closest to 35yds out) and racked up dead snappers all day. Then came the day that I tried shooting both-eyes-open at a 5yd target. My eyes basically crossed and I couldn't hit the damn target at all.

Make sure you practice up close and farther away targets if you're changing the way you shoot.

Also, if you can't do it, just recognize your limitations and make sure you're doing everything you can to compensate (i.e. if you can't shoot handguns with both eyes open, practice keeping both eyes open until you're ready to make the shot - this eliminates some of the depth perception issues and tunnel-vision).

The key to using handgun sights properly (and ironically, the key to shooting with both eyes open) is to focus not on your front sight post (or the rear sights), but to focus on your target and practice bringing your sights into the picture and on target. You should get where you aren't looking at your sights and eventually, you should be able to draw and aim without having to think about it.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am opposite eye dominant, but I still shoot both eyes open. I have pretty much trained myself/eye to make my non dominant eye to take over by closing then squinting my other eye. So I am still shooting with both eyes open. Eventually you get where you don't think about what your doing. I do it instinctually when shooting. Similar to the tape over the glasses thing. Your other eye will take over.

scrabtree121

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot with both eyes open but because of my eyesight in general I shoot much better when I close my non-dominant eye. Right hand shooter left eye dominant. Go figure, everyone is different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom