Motivate employees

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonersfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ARnut, you might want to check out the book Fish. It's an easy read and might be applicable to your situation.

Unknown.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oil field drill bit manufacturing company I worked for in the 80's and early 90's had a Plant manager with a heck of a memory. He would walk through the plant, stop occasionally at a work station and visit with the employee. He knew your name, knew your wife and kids names, and was always asking about them. How he remembered that I don't know, but I guess that's why he got where he did. Around 200 employees at that time.
We had outside sales folks visiting clients in the Tx and Louisiana gulf coasts, so a couple of times during the summer he would make an announcement that at noon, shut everything down and one of the sales guys would pull in with the back of the pickup loaded down with fresh gulf shrimp and oysters on ice. Everybody would chip in for a shrimp boil. Never knew when it was going to happen.
Look at the folks working for you as assets, not adversaries. Make them feel like they are on a team. If those folks see you supporting them, you will get their support in return for the most part. Some will never come over. Hang em with a new rope and they still complain and cause disruption. Dump them, and find someone that will work with the team.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I go to lunch with my peeps here and there. Occasionally I'll buy their lunch as appreciation for special efforts. I begged off for a couple of months to "save money". They'd even offer to buy MY lunch so I'd go!

What they didn't know was I was saving what I'd spend on my lunch, so I could take them for surf & turf when we hit our annual goals on time. A few extra cans of soup for lunch so I could treat them was well worth it when considering how much they've stepped up. :)

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My boss comes to town once a quarter for a "safety" breakfast. No safety issues for the quarter means a free breakfast. Problem is I work 9 PM - 7 AM so it means I have to stay late. I get OT for it and a free breakfast but it still isn't worth it to me most of the time.

Best thing they can do for me is keep me employed.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most long time supervisors believe that getting your paycheck should be the top motivator for employees. Most employees are actually motivated by meaningful work. It's not touchy-feely new age garbage, it's the reality. Obviously, not everybody gets to be an astronaut when they grow up, but the idea is the same. There are lots of people who didn't aspire to be doing what they are for the rest of their life. So their best empowerment is probably being shown they can take control of their work, and ultimately advance themselves with it.

Historical statistical studies also show that when working conditions (mostly in regards to safety, etc) get bad enough, they will jump up from about 5 or 6 down on the list of importance to number one.

Some other things, be a leader, not a "boss". Work with your people and show them you're backing them up to help them get the things done they are supposed to do. Don't just rest on hierarchy and expect them to do something because you're the boss and you said so. Yes, technically that is correct, but it builds no loyalty, and when the chips are down, you need loyalty.

As for attitude, I do agree quite a bit about bad apples spoiling the bunch. I worked with a group of people, and two of the more senior guys were very "doom and gloom" type guys. They were always picking apart everything management said and generally had a pedantic attitude. I didn't realize how much of a dark cloud it put over everyone, including myself, until I got moved to a different group. You don't have to drink all the cool-aid, but constant negative attitude will wear on you, even if it's not your own.

And as mr ed pointed out, management making promises and not doing anything can seriously damage employee relations. My company is going through this now. They are having a very tough time making the employee base believe that they are taking a good hard look at their compensation as they are promising to do, because they've thought of themselves as (and bragged about) being such a great employer for so long.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work for a VERY large corporation, though not exactly entry level. Every time I hear high level management make a comment regarding we are lucky to have a job or they will just find someone else, I know it won't end as they planned. Sure, they act tough and threaten us. What they get in return is the bare minimum of work and group of people that do nothing more than make sure they will not be fired. This creates a toxic environment and not one that productive. Treat your people as you wish to be treated. If you do this, they may just surprise you. I do far more than expected, but only because I respect my coworkers and direct supervisor. The company and upper-level executives don't really concern me and I have no love for them. With that said, I do not work in an entry level position or with people in entry level positions.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a meeting with my employees and discuss the situation. I appeal to them for their help.

Those that pitch in and help are rewarded, and sometimes you need to fire one of the others to get the rest motivated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom