Power out! (Electricity)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've thought this too, but I believe I'm still going to get one on the house we move to next. Either that or buy a big enough welder that would run the house.
Same here. After my wife retires and we move to wherever that home will be, we will have a permanent standby generator.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawton had lots of damage from the first wave Thursday.

We lost power, when a City pole went down and yanked meter off of house, around 5pm Thursday.

City had power pole back up around 11pm. I had to get meter box and power head done Friday morning. City saying "put back as was, no good, must be done to code."

Well, a tree fell on the line, 3 years ago and everything was replaced TO CODE, at that time. The State code book shows 2 diagrams. 1 has power head above roofline. 2 has power head under eave. Diagram is EXACTLY how the service is set up. City says must be above roof. (@##%^&&% azz) No parts and techs available.

We have a generator on RV. Keeping Wif somewhat comfortable. Thought I was going to have to take her to hospital, yesterday. Hope it doesn't come to that.
Probably will lose 2 freezers full of beef.
Wonder if a lawyer would do anything?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've thought this too, but I believe I'm still going to get one on the house we move to next. Either that or buy a big enough welder that would run the house.
At one point my mom’s folks lived in a dugout in eastern New Mexico. After two and a half days without electricity, I’ve realized that I ain’t made that tough, and when I buy my next house, a whole house gennie is definitely on the list. I don’t care if it never gets used; this is freaking miserable.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawton had lots of damage from the first wave Thursday.

We lost power, when a City pole went down and yanked meter off of house, around 5pm Thursday.

City had power pole back up around 11pm. I had to get meter box and power head done Friday morning. City saying "put back as was, no good, must be done to code."

Well, a tree fell on the line, 3 years ago and everything was replaced TO CODE, at that time. The State code book shows 2 diagrams. 1 has power head above roofline. 2 has power head under eave. Diagram is EXACTLY how the service is set up. City says must be above roof. (@##%^&&% azz) No parts and techs available.

We have a generator on RV. Keeping Wif somewhat comfortable. Thought I was going to have to take her to hospital, yesterday. Hope it doesn't come to that.
Probably will lose 2 freezers full of beef.
Wonder if a lawyer would do anything?
You use to be able to file a claim with the power company and they would pay for the loss but dont know if that would apply to a disaster or not but might give it a try what do you have to lose besides some time filling out the form.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I wouldn't discount getting a standby generator if we moved to a different area. We just don't have hardly any issues where we are now. I would have to replace the electrical panel (1969) we have now just as a start before even thinking about adding a generator and switch. 15+ grand just isn't in the program.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 5550 watt portable that same year after the storm, but never needed to use it. It just sits, and sits, and sits (sheltered). Just a quarterly or so run to exercise it and test connectivity to the house (and burn gas!). It's been used for its intended purpose just one evening for an hour or two. I do store treated gasoline and try not to let it get too old. A standby permanent generator would be a huge waste of money for me. I did buy a soft start kit for the main A/C so I could run it on the generator also.
My runs off of natural gas. I’ve added a little synthetic oil per the instructions, but so far, so good. Fingers crossed that it keeps working until they get the power restored.

The lines for gas were long, and people seem really edgy.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just wanted to say, Indian Electric Coop, in Cleveland, take care of business. and are very good at what they do! We have lived here 45 years, and have had very few power outages. This is the longest we have been without power in all that time, 36 hours, and they had our power back on about noon yesterday. Even the ice storm years ago, our power was off for 4 hours, once during all that, and many people were without power for two weeks. I suspect they, and all power companies, hear a lot of gripping, during something like this, so I thought I would say something positive, GOOD JOB, Indian Elect Coop!!!!!

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't discount getting a standby generator if we moved to a different area. We just don't have hardly any issues where we are now. I would have to replace the electrical panel (1969) we have now just as a start before even thinking about adding a generator and switch. 15+ grand just isn't in the program.
Northern Tools store in Tulsa, have Generac 35wK generators and a 200 amp switch panels, on sale right now for about $5800.00! I'm sure that does not include installation, but any electrician could install it, and I don't know how big a house that would supply?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Northern Tools store in Tulsa, have Generac 35wK generators and a 200 amp switch panels, on sale right now for about $5800.00! I'm sure that does not include installation, but any electrician could install it, and I don't know how big a house that would supply?

35kw would likely power half the block and probably use a shite-ton of fuel. I would need 7kw minimum, and closer to 10 kw or what’s available in that range. Probably have to bump it up to 14. I have an older split bus main panel that would probably need replaced to bring it up to code with a main disconnect with grounds and neutrals separated. Electricians (and plumbers) don’t work for peanuts. I'm sure the city wants its cut also.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom