Pushmataha Draw Hunt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well guys, my scouting trip to Push got cancelled due to circumstances beyond my control. My hunt is next week, and I'm going in blind. Not really the situation I want to be in, but I have been studying my maps and marking some spots that look promising.

If anyone is willing to throw some advice my way, it would be greatly appreciated. I know all you guys that live down in that area mention there are no good bucks, so maybe you could point me in the direction of a good spot to smack a doe :hey3:.

Shoot me a PM if you can help. Any info would be appreciated!

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Me and my wife went down there today from around noon till dusk. We sat about 200 yards apart in the area between Dogwood and Divide Road. Didn't see, hear, or smell chit. Thought I caught a glimpse of a doe but only for a split second then it was gone. Saw a few other hunters there and there were no dead deer making their way to the check in, a rarity for this place. Congrats on winning the draw, and best of luck. Every one I have talked to (Including Jack Waymeyer, the caretaker of the place) says that creek bottoms are the best places to hunt there.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Haven't deer hunted it, turkey only and it was years ago. Jack Waymeyer was a wealth of knowledge, took pride in what he did and I was extremely impressed with him.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't give you much advice on location, but I'd agree with staying where the mast is, which is typically down in the draws. They are hounding the acorns right now. I've been hunting land that borders the Push WMA to the north. Stay in your stand all day. The buck I shot last weekend was taken at noon. Right after I shot him I had to wait because more does were coming to feed. Lots of mid day movement. Weather will be a little warmer than it was last weekend, but slightly cooler temps on Sat and Sunday.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hunted two places and saw good numbers but as luck has it never got one.

River road. All the way to the bottom to post oak then back to the right. FIL missed a nice one there.
Roughly half way down the hill to the right again. Several nice flats that used to carry nice acorns.

The other place was on Hickory down the hill behind HQ. So close that no one stops there. Road steps off the wma for just a bit. We parked there and walked on in. Lots of activity going on and off the area.

Good luck.

DeerAssassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really wish they would open up Push to rifle hunting...With all the clear cuts and wide open spaces its perfect for rifle. Keeping it bow/draw hunts only is a freakin' joke! We pay for it, we ought to be able to use it!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! We head out on the 8th and get back on the 11th. Hopefully I'll have a good story to share with some pics to back it up.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys! We head out on the 8th and get back on the 11th. Hopefully I'll have a good story to share with some pics to back it up.

Push is one of my favorite places in OK to go hunt. I have had pretty good luck there. Last time I was drawn was back in fall of '06. I have killed 2 deer there and had some technical difficulties on the 3rd hunt and didn't come home with anything. My favorite spot on the whole place is that big long 6-700 yard field at the far far back corner. I like setting on the end by the pond. The other field I like is the L shaped field in the middle on the same road by the triple fields. Took a little buck there at the back of that field towards the bend last time I was there. I don't remember the names of the roads that well but love that place.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got my gear packed and I'm headed to bigfoot country tomorrow. It looks like the weather this weekend is going to warm and windy. Hopefully with the lack of moon and the rut kicking in, the bucks will be moving during daylight hours. Good luck to everyone this weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom