State Schrool Superintendent Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm can't vote in the primary, but has anyone thought about Brian Kelly?

It appears that Mr. Kelly is on the ballot but not necessarily seeking the office. While he has been absent from the campaign trail and public debates, it is being reported that his campaign signs and promotions are being paid for by Barresi.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and we obviously have several friends that are teachers. I also have an 8 year old daughter who is going into the 4th grade (she skipped kindergarden).

The first problem lies at home. Parents are so busy and the kids are so busy that education takes a back seat. How many kids don't do their homework until right before bedtime? The worst time to learn is when you are tired. Parents should take a more active role in their children's education. My wife tells me the parents who ask questions and are involved, their kids usually do well. Kids that are near flunking (they don't flunk them anymore) their parents never ask about grades.

Second, when my daughter brought home her math work for 3rd grade I am a freaking CPA and couldn't understand it. She explained it to me, and I quickly said, "here is the easy way to figure it out". And this was with simple multiplication facts. I told her it was called memory. We use it from time to time to remember things.

I would say that its probably about equal as to whether the issue of education starts at home or in the classroom. Some parents just don't give a damn and see school as free daycare and some teachers just aren't good at teaching and want the parents to do most of it in their "free time". In a lot of households, probably most, both parents work full time and don't have the time to spend hours doing the actual teaching when its not being done in the classroom. My wife and I ran into the latter issue this past school year. My sons 4th grade teacher was sending the common core worksheets home without any explanation of how it was being taught. No books were being brought home and my son was getting math problems counted wrong because we weren't having him use the formula that they wanted him to use to come up with the answer even though the answer was correct. Called the teacher and asked what the hell was going on and she told us to watch youtube videos on common core math to learn the way that they wanted it done. That's what they were doing in the classroom, watching youtube and taking notes....9 year olds. Needless to say the entire school year was a cluster#$%^ because his teacher, who had not taught grade school before was lazy and didn't want to take the time to teach or even give us the tools to do it ourselves.

I haven't have kids in school in a long time, and just heard about the common core thing awhile back when it became controversial.

One side said that if kids couldn't read at a certain level they would have to undergo reading remedial classes, and not held back.

The other side said we need to let our schools decide.

I know for a fact that if you can't read, you will never be an educated person and relegated to flipping burgers.

Not trying to start an argument, but what is wrong with having kids learning to read? I've seen college kids that can barely read.

That's not right. It seems our schools don't recognize the need to teach reading?

Common Core is a mess and we are robbing our children of a good education by using it. More time is spent testing than learning, if that makes sense.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO they shouldn't be able to loan themselves money for a political campaign. If they just want to spend it outright on their campaign, that's fine, but they loan it and charge back exorbitant interest and most donors are never the wiser. And I'm sure there are a few odd donors that are if you get my drift...

From what I've been told in the past, the loans don't necessarily have to involve a direct transfer of money. In some cases, the "loans" are in lieu of "speaking fees" since the campaign is technically an independent entity from the candidate. That's one reason I get suspicious anytime I hear that a candidate "loaned" their campaign money. (I haven't looked into transaction records personally, but the places I've heard this from were what you'd call reliable.)

FakeHuman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say that its probably about equal as to whether the issue of education starts at home or in the classroom. Some parents just don't give a damn and see school as free daycare and some teachers just aren't good at teaching and want the parents to do most of it in their "free time". In a lot of households, probably most, both parents work full time and don't have the time to spend hours doing the actual teaching when its not being done in the classroom. My wife and I ran into the latter issue this past school year. My sons 4th grade teacher was sending the common core worksheets home without any explanation of how it was being taught. No books were being brought home and my son was getting math problems counted wrong because we weren't having him use the formula that they wanted him to use to come up with the answer even though the answer was correct. Called the teacher and asked what the hell was going on and she told us to watch youtube videos on common core math to learn the way that they wanted it done. That's what they were doing in the classroom, watching youtube and taking notes....9 year olds. Needless to say the entire school year was a cluster#$%^ because his teacher, who had not taught grade school before was lazy and didn't want to take the time to teach or even give us the tools to do it ourselves.

Common Core is a mess and we are robbing our children of a good education by using it. More time is spent testing than learning, if that makes sense.

I have 4 kids in public schools, and we've experienced the same problems. They bring home these worksheets that were printed from some online source with no explanation from the teacher on how to complete them. We had to go to YouTube as well to try and figure out what in the world they were trying to do. In my opinion, a math question simply has a right and a wrong answer, who cares if they use the new (wacked out) way of working the problem as long as they come up with the right answer.

Another thing I've had issues with is the timed reading trials they put the younger kids through. Basically, they hand them a little book and see how many words they can read in a certain amount of time and are graded on the outcome. To me that seems like putting too much emphasis on how fast a person can read versus whether they understood what they just read.

Nilbog

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing I've had issues with is the timed reading trials they put the younger kids through. Basically, they hand them a little book and see how many words they can read in a certain amount of time and are graded on the outcome. To me that seems like putting too much emphasis on how fast a person can read versus whether they understood what they just read.
I'm a teacher and can tell you that I don't know of a single teacher that agrees with these reading tests. But, we are required to do them. We spend a great deal of time each day on timing reading selections and counting the words correct and errors. It is all about testing. Supposedly if they can read a certain number of words correctly per minute, they have a better chance of passing their test in the Spring. Test scores drive everything.

Riley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, Hoffmiester has Union, BA, and Jenks endorsements. In the interest of full disclosure, I did pay her tuition for my kids to lean how to be successful doing math for probably 6 years. The upshot is my senior is taking calc 3 and the freshman is taking Algebra 2. As it happens they both feel as though it was a tremendous benefit and occasionally wish they would have stayed with it.

As I understand it, math via common or "everyday math" and about 8 other variants uses a non-mastery, refresh principle. Essentially, a spiral where additional concepts are added as material is re-taught in later years. A problem is the introductory concepts are known to be discard-able, the kids think it needlessly complicated, and the they are never expected to achieve mastery of basic concepts. Think multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, facts.

Some kids have never achieved those basic skills, if you can't recall basic facts, because you were never expected to develop a mastery of them, your future success in every mathematics situation is is greatly limited.

Anyway, I think Joy has good ideas and will improve education in the state overall.

BY the way, when we talking about education funding from Gov Henry, would that include the wonderful Community College Campuses? Which by my observation are greatly underutilized.....

I've had occasion to visit some schools in Tulsa and outlying areas that could have used some of those funds for infrastructure over the years. Priorities I guess, "ivory towers" or "grass roots"?

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As I understand it, math via common or "everyday math" and about 8 other variants uses a non-mastery, refresh principle. Essentially, a spiral where additional concepts are added as material is re-taught in later years. A problem is the introductory concepts are known to be discard-able, the kids think it needlessly complicated, and the they are never expected to achieve mastery of basic concepts. Think multiplication, addition, subtraction, division, facts.
That sounds like a bastardization of the Saxon method, invented by the late Norman educator, John Saxon. That's how we were taught algebra--you learn the foundation concepts, then do exercises, then expand on those concepts, with subsequent exercise sets incorporating a little bit of what came before. As much as I disliked algebra, the method seems to have worked...

Latest posts

Top Bottom