Survey says????? First AR, , , build or buy it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can change the plugs and wires in a car build it. Not that complicated and you already have offers of help. It will be your rifle from the start rather than something that you want to change this that and the other on, will be cheaper in the long run and worth more if you make good choices.

On the other hand if you can't even change the oil in your car buy it.

And if you can't walk and talk at the same time you don't need one :yikes2:

120 Acres

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you can change the plugs and wires in a car build it. Not that complicated and you already have offers of help. It will be your rifle from the start rather than something that you want to change this that and the other on, will be cheaper in the long run and worth more if you make good choices.

Pffft. That dont matter. If he planned it all out, built it exactly like he wanted... he will still change this that and the other! Just the way it is!

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you ar using it as a "stepping stone" to eventually get something you really want, buy a Factory AR so it has resale value.

Then, build or buy the next one once you know what you really want in an AR.

46and2

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going through the same mental debate right now. Leaning towards building because I have only found 1-2 from the manufacturers that have exactly what I (think I) want.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going through the same mental debate right now. Leaning towards building because I have only found 1-2 from the manufacturers that have exactly what I (think I) want.

Same offer applies... happy to help out if you decide to build. I can bring my toolbag and get it all done in a couple hours. Helps if you have a vice. If not, you can come up here.

<edit> Props on the nick, BTW.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build/assemble....I just finished mine weeks ago. Built the lower on an Anderson from Fatboy Tactical. Got a smoking deal on a PSA blem upper so I went that route. A fun project for sure and like others have said, you will understand how your rifle works. As others have also said...build they way you want....then you figure out you want it different:rotflmao: kind of like legos for grown ups

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build/assemble....I just finished mine weeks ago. Built the lower on an Anderson from Fatboy Tactical. Got a smoking deal on a PSA blem upper so I went that route. A fun project for sure and like others have said, you will understand how your rifle works. As others have also said...build they way you want....then you figure out you want it different:rotflmao: kind of like legos for grown ups

wallstreetjackass_typepad_com__a_6a00d8341c7ae753ef0120a5682bbd970c_pi_.jpg

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In this market, I would definitely build... and by "build" I mean put together the lower receiver yourself, and buy a complete upper to put on it. Putting together a lower using a stripped lower and a lower parts kit is pretty easy and doesn't require many tools. I wouldn't recommend putting together an entire rifle, like getting a stripped upper and putting the barrel on yourself and everything, for your first build though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom