Survey says????? First AR, , , build or buy it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build it.

When you get done you will understand the mechanics of the gun your shooting and why all of that happens in harmony to make it shoot.

The road can be a little rocky at times, but there is enough expert help on the forum to work it out.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I kind of did both for my first AR. And it's too bad I didn't know the folks at FatBoy Tactical when I had the AR built. These guys really have a cool service. There's not a great deal to building an AR but you do have to " follow the instructions" so to speak. And you've got to make sure you put the right combination of parts together. But, it is still not a great big deal. And if you work with a builder you can learn the ropes and not have to do the head scratching to get all the right pieces that work together. Just pick out the stuff you like and let the builder do what they do well. Good luck.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build. You can ask questions here and will get answers quickly. Find a friend who can help you it's too easy not to make it exactly how you want it.

If you buy you will just end up doing a partial build anyway.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Build. Lots of guys here who will help, including me. I have all the tools you need. You're welcome to ask advice on what to get, what all parts you need, etc. Then bring it all up here or I'll come down there and we'll get it put together in a couple hours (that's with beer, smoke and instruction breaks). As dennis said, once you're done putting it all together, the sense of accomplishment is phenomenal, and you'll understand how every part of your gun works, therefore be able to troubleshoot any problems down the road instantly and easily and you will be able to evaluate how it works and make any changes you may want full informed.

Build. Without a doubt.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I say split the difference and assemble. There are tons of killer deals on upper assemblies and lower kits these days. Take advantage of the sales and you can save more money than you would buying individual parts or a complete rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom