Survey says????? First AR, , , build or buy it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camach

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I wasn't looking for a super specific AR then I would just buy one cheap and later build one to my liking with better parts but if you're looking for specific then just build your first one.

FamousAJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
LOL, Buy my new Bushmaster!

you ain't selling that already are you? Glock does not make AR's, so you need to have something in the stable.

Everyone here says build. That's cool, be prepared that if you decide to sell, that you won't get back any of the labor, shipping, taxes and expect to reduce your parts cost by 30% or more. Plus, from what I've seen around here (OSA and Armslist), no one wants to buy a Frankengun any more, even it if it's all quality, name brand parts.

I'm not saying with a OEM build you'll get anything more out of it, but at least you have a quality OEM built rifle that is desirable in many more circles than a Frankengun. Think Colt, Sig, M&P, Noveske, DD, etc...

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Build. I am in the process of building my first AR. I have my lower completed and so far the most difficult part is choosing a caliber. I'll build a 5.56 upper just because ammo is cheap and available (ok, cheap may be a relative term) but I eventually want something else to swap onto the lower with a little more punch.

Swab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm going with build. Hopefully get some time during the week to pick up a stripped lower from fat boys and go from there. My boss and future grandfather in law are basically laying out my build for me and both have multiple ARs so there shouldn't be any issues on that end. Resale doesn't matter all that much to me either. Pops would whoop my ass if he found out I ever sold a 'need' gun.

Sent from the land of teepee's and buffaloes

Harp13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was interesting to purchase a lower and build it up for my first AR platform weapon. Learned some things are easier to put together than others, but enjoyed the experience overall. Agree that it is a good way to learn about the components and how they work together. It was definitely not as intimidating as I expected it to be and am sure I will do that again in the future.

Having said that, I just purchased a complete AR in 5.56 yesterday and hope to get to my FFL tomorrow so I can try start to break it in over the weekend.

Latest posts

Top Bottom