The Winchester Model 12, Why are they demanding high dollar at pawn shops and not selling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last week, I went to around six or seven pawn shops that usually have a good selection of guns. All of them had a Winchester Model 12, 12 gauge for sale. I commented to the last pawnbroker and his reply, "If they don't, there is one coming in the door.".

I read someplace that the older Model 12s were manufactured for black powder and the modern smokeless powders will damage them and possibly the shooter. So are the old ones just high-dollar wall hangers?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All model 12's were made for smokeless and they were made til 1957. 97 win. is a different matter. The high prices they get from a book that doesn't face the reality of today. People today don't want a heavy old shotgun. they want light, quick, modern technology. I don't know their prices but have recently sold some nice ones in the 600 range and they were a tough sale. Just like I hear high prices on Browning A5's but if you want to move them and not just sit and look at them 600-700 is realistic if they are nice. Remember they are pawnshops, they give a hundred and then try to make a small fortune.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That nickel steel barrel isn't going to be too happy if you start blasting steel shot through it either.

Dad collected them for some reason...never walked by a near mint one without taking it home. I have 4 myself (2x12ga, 16 and 20), along with a Winchester Model 42. Cool old guns and slick as all get out.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don’t say what “high dollar” might be Snattlerake. I have a 12, 16, 28 and a Model 42 as well. A well used but not trashed field grade 12 gauge should bring around $350. A 28 gauge just a wee bit more. 😉 And like Mr Ed stated they’re all for smokeless although if shooting steel shot you’d best find another shotgun. I also would double check the chamber length on the older ones. Somewhere in my memory I want to say certain gauges were cut shorter and certainly for a roll and not a star crimp.
This one was made in 1947 (the year my mom was born). Took the pic right after refinishing the stock and before I had it reblued. Boy you should see it now.
IMG_1003.jpeg

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in their day they were the trap and skeet gun of record along with the Belgian Browning o/u. A pidgeon grade model 12 trap gun would bring $1,000/2,000 in the 70's and those nickel steel barrels never wore out ..........still have my dad's and I'll put em up against anything made today

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 1928 model 12 Win in 12 ga. Given to me by a coworker because it wouldn’t lock up when pumped. Plus the buttstock was broken and it was in general disrepair.
I teamed up with an old member, Honeybee that has since passed away to get it back into a functioning firearm. He did the rust blueing that was used at that time, and I did the wood with a new buttstock from Missouri stocks. 20 some layers of Birchwood Casey after sanding with 1000 grit paper. It’s beautiful and I did a full report of the restoration on this forum if one wants to research.
The model 12 went into obsolescence because each part was machined and fitted.
When mass production methods and MIM parts were starting to be produced, the era of the model 12 ended.
I’ve shot thousand of rounds from mine in backyard clay shoots. Functions 100%.
As has been mentioned, no steel shot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom