The Winchester Model 12, Why are they demanding high dollar at pawn shops and not selling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Model 12 was at one time the gold standard in pump action shotguns, as well as the WW I trench gun. Think many get caught up in the legendary status. Saw my first one 30 years ago and wanted one. Never found one who's wear and price point matched what I was willing to pay for an antique. All I know is there are many good modern shotguns on the market at a lower price point. If I saw one in a pawn shop that I wanted I would offer a lower price, and if they won't budge I'd walk away. I do think many are over priced. I have seen very few that have 90% bluing left, the ones that are out there have seen a lot of use.
For me, they still are the gold standard, but I'm a nostalgic old fudd. They came in several variations. I had one years ago that was called a Heavy Duck gun, although I don't remember if that was a Winchester name (50 years ago) 30 inch barrel, full choke, solid rib, and IIRC 3" magnum, it was a tank. Not only do the survivors have little bluing left but they have a lot of wear on the internals, my last one would not extract, but after a little work with a file I got it running fine. The other thing is because they are a takedown some guys try to do a barrel swap and you have the right ring size and now I'm over my head, so be careful.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is one feature I liked about my old Western Field takedown 36-inch full choke. Wish I still had that gun.

View attachment 453699
Is that a rebadged Savage? Very cool. The best thing about takedowns is you can throw them in an athletic bag and carry it anywhere and nobody thinks "gun." I bet you already knew that. That's what I don't get about cases for AR's, and then camo or black, or desert brown, when anybody notices you, they think, what's that guy doing with the gun? Like those old vests that said shoot me first.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The pigeon grade and higher grade guns had highly figured walnut wood that would cost you big bunches oof$$$$$ if you could even get it in today's market. The only issues with the model 12 action was they only had one action bar and all the parts were hand fitted so after 50,000 shots or so it had to go to the factory for a complete rebuild. It was the fastest pump shotgun for trap and skeet doubles with a good shooter almost being able to keep with the guys shooting over and unders. My dad had 4 of the pigeon grade guns for the different trap yardages and they fit me perfect so l still shoot em.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is that a rebadged Savage? Very cool. The best thing about takedowns is you can throw them in an athletic bag and carry it anywhere and nobody thinks "gun." I bet you already knew that. That's what I don't get about cases for AR's, and then camo or black, or desert brown, when anybody notices you, they think, what's that guy doing with the gun? Like those old vests that said shoot me first.
No, it is a Browning patent rebranded Stevens 520. Notice the hump like an A5 Browning?

Mine was bought for $75 at a farm sale when I was 18.

Stevens 520

1707956598789.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom