The Winchester Model 12, Why are they demanding high dollar at pawn shops and not selling?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All model 12's were made for smokeless and they were made til 1957. 97 win. is a different matter. The high prices they get from a book that doesn't face the reality of today. People today don't want a heavy old shotgun. they want light, quick, modern technology. I don't know their prices but have recently sold some nice ones in the 600 range and they were a tough sale. Just like I hear high prices on Browning A5's but if you want to move them and not just sit and look at them 600-700 is realistic if they are nice. Remember they are pawnshops, they give a hundred and then try to make a small fortune.
I have a model 12 that dates to 1974. Granted it is A 12Y.

ChrisWilson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a nice Model 12 in 12 gauge that I bought off one of my students several years back, he was needing money and I tried to help him out. I'd let mine go for what I gave for it. I won't tie up the comments here, need to take a pic of it an put it in the classifieds.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bunch of older shooters swore by the Model 12 because it had no disconnector on the trigger, so it could slam fire—just hold the trigger and it would go bang every time you racked the slide, at least until the magazine ran dry. Until the Benelli came onto the scene, you couldn’t get a scattergun with a faster rate of fire, so it held the speed shooting records for shotguns.

The Model 12 also played a key role in the Union Station Massacre. As I recall the story told by a UMKC professor in his book on the subject (The Union Station Massacre: The Original Sin of J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI), one of the LEOs assigned to guard the prisoner was using a Model 12, but he was not at all familiar with it, and he managed to kill and/or wound both the prisoner and another LEO because he kept his booger hook on the bang switch while racking the slide.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A bunch of older shooters swore by the Model 12 because it had no disconnector on the trigger, so it could slam fire—just hold the trigger and it would go bang every time you racked the slide, at least until the magazine ran dry. Until the Benelli came onto the scene, you couldn’t get a scattergun with a faster rate of fire, so it held the speed shooting records for shotguns.

The Model 12 also played a key role in the Union Station Massacre. As I recall the story told by a UMKC professor in his book on the subject (The Union Station Massacre: The Original Sin of J. Edgar Hoover’s FBI), one of the LEOs assigned to guard the prisoner was using a Model 12, but he was not at all familiar with it, and he managed to kill and/or wound both the prisoner and another LEO because he kept his booger hook on the bang switch while racking the slide.
It also holds 7 rounds with one in the chamber.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And its a takedown, which broadens it's usefulness. Remember Bullit when the two guys went to the hotel to take care of some business, granted they used a 97, but still it added some cool factor. And if you didn't need the takedown just get a 25, IIRC, same gun, no takedown.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
And its a takedown, which broadens it's usefulness. Remember Bullit when the two guys went to the hotel to take care of some business, granted they used a 97, but still it added some cool factor. And if you didn't need the takedown just get a 25, IIRC, same gun, no takedown.
That is one feature I liked about my old Western Field takedown 36-inch full choke. Wish I still had that gun.

1707930366546.png

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Model 12 was at one time the gold standard in pump action shotguns, as well as the WW I trench gun. Think many get caught up in the legendary status. Saw my first one 30 years ago and wanted one. Never found one who's wear and price point matched what I was willing to pay for an antique. All I know is there are many good modern shotguns on the market at a lower price point. If I saw one in a pawn shop that I wanted I would offer a lower price, and if they won't budge I'd walk away. I do think many are over priced. I have seen very few that have 90% bluing left, the ones that are out there have seen a lot of use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom