Thunder Stadium Vote

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911DA

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not only NO but hell NO! If those overpriced millionaire prima donna players want a new stadium to play bassetball in let the players, the team and the nba pay for it.........we the taxpayers ain't getting squat off of the whole damn mess except more taxes and higher prices in the brick town area........

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t live in OKC, but if I did, I would vote yes, and likely put a sign in my yard encouraging others to do the same. Yeah, it’s funding millionaires to play ball and stuff, and the thunders $50 million contribution is absolutely pathetic, but let’s just look at it from a numbers standpoint:

The tax is a $0.01 sales tax on the dollar. If you spend $100,000 a year on retail stuff, that’s a measly $1,000. In the end, the deal is $900,000,000 to keep the thunder here for the next 26 years, until at least 2050.

The current thunder stadium brings the OKC area $600 million dollars per year, and provides over 3200 quality jobs per year to Oklahomans. The new stadium will bring in even more than that.

“If you look at pouring $900 million into the economy with regards to the spillover and effects, indirect and induced activity, we’re looking at over $1.3 billion of activity supporting over 10,000 jobs and $550 million in labor costs," said Eric Long, a research economist.

That sounds like money well spent to me. Even if we’re only looking at $600 million per year for the next 26 years we’re talking 15.6 BILLION dollars for our city (and surrounding cities, and state) off of a 900 million dollar investment. The 1.3 billion/year would put us just short of 34 BILLION for that same time frame. This is money that goes into our economy, our tax revenue, our schools, our streets. This encourages better policing, fire protection, services for Oklahomans, and events. If I could invest $900 and get back $33,800 in 26 years I wouldn’t even have to think about it.

Even if other teams “paid their share” and all that, even if other states did things differently, we have to remember that we aren’t them. This sorta thing is something that can help ensure our kid’s kids (or more likely for some of ya’ll, great great grandkids) have a great place to live with lots of opportunity. This will also help bring concerts, conventions, and evangelists to our city that we can’t get with our current accommodations.

For the record, I can’t tell you when I last went to a game, watched any NBA game, or went to a concert. I don’t care about any of that. I’m simply rooting for this because of the economic implications. Better economy means we don’t have to sit around making crap money in our home anymore.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not? I’m legitimately curious. It seems like most who don’t want this sorta thing just want Oklahoma City to stay in the 90s.
Have you visited Bricktown in the last 15 years? Its a scum hole.
If it cant survive on all the new renovations without the NBA and a continued tax, so be it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
What are the current and past statistics at the current arena? Is every game sold out? Have most games been sold out over the years? There's no talk of more parking, more restaurants or more lodging...........just more seats. If they haven't been consistently sold out over the years, I'd say no way. I know way too many folks who run down to a Thunder game on a whim, so I know they're not sold out.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, I would cater to the horse and livestock shows, we let the PBR get away to Vegas, and that was a real money maker. The way they run the Thunder, constantly changing players, you just don't feel like they are your team, the spirit is gone. When people say the Thunder brings in a lot of money, maybe it used to, but now with the crime in Bricktown, I'm not sure that's true. But when a horse show comes to town those people are from rural areas, they shop, eat, and drink, and no crime, that's the future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom