tractor supply in Prattville on HW 97 denied my dad's Veterans 100% tax exempt!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vendors who have actual knowledge that a consumer is entitled to the sales tax exemption provided to a 100% disabled veteran and who willfully or intentionally refuse to honor the exemption may be fined $500.00 per offense.

That is true but one needs the name of the employee that refused them, the time, name of business and the appropriate form from the Internet. It isn't any veteran that has the tax exemption, it is those 100% . And, they are excused up to $25,000 in taxes but they rarely follow up as I understand. The OK Tax Commission prepares a tax exempt card for the veteran once the vet produces a letter from Muskogee Regional VA.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never heard of it either, and now Streak is telling me there's 7 of them! Learned something new today. Only new about the farm tax and the Military 10% here and there.

I can't remember 100% of them but the ones I think I remember are retail resale, 100% disabled veteran, agricultural, religious, government agency, miscellaneous, and non profit

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't understand why they would not consider the tax exempt card regardless of law, its not like they are losing money, taxes are only collected from the consumer and paid to the state. Being a tractor/farm store I'm sure everyone in there has at least entered the information for one agriculture or business tax exemption, the process only took 5 mins or less when I had them do it.

Hey folks, if you are a disabled Veteran, keep in mind this tax exemption is not only for sales tax, this also includes, excise tax exemption, property tax exemption, and household property tax exemption. There are other benefits too, take a look at the the link provided below. Please don't consider this freeloading or undeserving, the fact is you already earned it and should use it to your full potential.

Benefits here

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey folks, if you are a disabled Veteran, keep in mind this tax exemption is not only for sales tax, this also includes, excise tax exemption, property tax exemption, and household property tax exemption. There are other benefits too, take a look at the the link provided below. Please don't consider this freeloading or undeserving, the fact is you already earned it and should use it to your full potential.

Benefits here

You need to be 100% service connected, permanent and total disabled. Just being a disabled veteran does not qualify.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, for most things. 50% disability is the number that gets most of the benefits opened. 100% opens all of them.

My statement was in reference to the tax exemption card only. Nothing else.

You do realize that the State of Oklahoma has many 100% Non Service Connected veterans.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So my dad and I went to tractor supply today to purchase some items for the horse and my father (who is a 100% disabled military veteran and served in Vietnam with US Marines) went to pay for the items and proceeded to tell them that he has military tax exempt, the cashier very rudely told him that they don't except military tax exempt. I asked another employee in the store about what the clerk said and he told me the same thing "we don't take military tax exempt". I asked to talk to the manager but was told by both employees that one would not be available till tomorrow or something...
Needless to say my dad is going to report them and I will never use that tractor supply again. If you can't take care of our veterans then you will not get my money again.

Pass on the thank you for his service.
Did you have his card the first time at the store? I didn't anything other than "proceeded to tell them".

4wheelphil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pass on the thank you for his service.
Did you have his card the first time at the store? I didn't anything other than "proceeded to tell them".

Thank you, I will pass it along.
Yes we had his card out and ready the first time we went there. It's habit for him to have his card out first because at Walmart they will get your butt if they ring up all your groceries and then you hand them your tax card, they have to go back and delete every item and start over if you don't tell them or show them you have tax exempt card first. He did have the card out to show to the cashier, she didn't even care to look at it.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They sent you a response, but it doesn't explain anything. The tax exemption is not a discount. Bunch of fluff if you ask me.

I'd be willing to bet a two-comma number that the response was written by a PR firm managing their social media or a social media manager.

...it's a difficult process for the cashiers to go through so they usually won't do it...

When I worked overnights at Walmart, new tax exempt accounts were covered on the first day as a cashier. Time consuming? Yes. Hard? Not at all. I'm sure TSC has caught up to Walmart's practices in the past 10 years...

Latest posts

Top Bottom