Tulsa man faces federal charge of pointing laser at police helicopter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess it just has to happen to you to make you realize that it could be a serious issue. When I have 100 people sitting behind me trusting me with their lives, the last thing I need is someone shining a laser in my eyes when trying to land a 50 ton airplane at night into an unfamiliar airport.
The next time you and your family fly would you want someone shining a laser into your pilots eyes?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess it just has to happen to you to make you realize that it could be a serious issue. When I have 100 people sitting behind me trusting me with their lives, the last thing I need is someone shining a laser in my eyes when trying to land a 50 ton airplane at night into an unfamiliar airport.
The next time you and your family fly would you want someone shining a laser into your pilots eyes?

I would hate for my pilot to have his " attention gotten," or to be "nuisanced" in between cocktails and turning on the autopilot. I feel the same amount of danger from someone blinding the pilot and co-pilot with an Office Depot laser as I do the guy that plays brick breaker on his "turned on" cell phone, or landing with my tray table down.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's lucky you didn't plummet right out of the air on to a puppy hospital / baby seal orphanage.

Why not take YOUR family out for a little car ride some night on a deserted road at 60 MPH and let your son or daughter or wife shine a laser at your face and as you turn to see if it might be an approaching aircraft on a collision course, auto pulling from a side road, PD behind you, or what ever, make sure they hit your eyes just for a brief second.

Report back to us how it went, if you can.

I do not fly an airliner, but I do fly my family frequently in a small plane. There is enough to deal with to not have to put up with this kind of crap. This guy is no different than kids standing beside the road trying to throw a rock through your window as you drive by.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why not take YOUR family out for a little car ride some night on a deserted road at 60 MPH and let your son or daughter or wife shine a laser at your face and as you turn to see if it might be an approaching aircraft on a collision course, auto pulling from a side road, PD behind you, or what ever, make sure they hit your eyes just for a brief second.

Report back to us how it went, if you can.

I do not fly an airliner, but I do fly my family frequently in a small plane. There is enough to deal with to not have to put up with this kind of crap. This guy is no different than kids standing beside the road trying to throw a rock through your window as you drive by.
Holy crap! The guy was IN the cockpit with the pilot? I'd say that the laser charge'll be least of his worries.

I've had my eyes shinned with a laser and sure it sucks, but is it as bad as getting an eye full of someone's xenon high beams, nope.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ohh no!! I'm gonna go a head and guess that's happened exactly zero times. I'm also gonna guess that it's pretty damn statistically impossible for this guy to blind that pilot but go a head tell about the sob story about some guy you knew that was reckless and stupid enough to do this, that ended up causing a wreck. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat.

First link the pilot says he was blinded causing the crash, they think it was a laser. Second both pilots claim they almost crashed because of a laser. Third is just for your education.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/07/11/asiana-laser-faa/2508109/

http://www.wptv.com/news/region-c-p...and-plane-at-palm-beach-international-airport

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/FAQ-doubters/FAQ-doubters.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom