Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blind hogs do find acorns… :thumb:
I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
View attachment 471027
View attachment 471040
View attachment 471041

Congratulations. Nice bird !! Appreciate the description of the hunt.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats! Did the other tom have an orange stripe on its beard from beard rot?
Where the beard came off the body was really full and thick and looked like it was lighter in color on the ends. There were a half dozen strands that were still long. He was a bigger body bird than the one I killed.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Blind hogs do find acorns… :thumb:
I gambled on where to set up this afternoon, and it paid off. I was about 400 yards northwest at the opposite end of a grove of tree along the river from my camera where I’ve been seeing turkeys, because I know they hang out in those tree. The wind was blowing pretty hard so I was up wind to hopefully get the sound to carry into the tree. I called a few times and after a while got a glimpse of something moving in the shade about 50 yards away. When he came out into the light, I could see it was a tom I’ve been watching that has something wrong with his beard (maybe beard rot), so I just sat still and watched him for about 30 minutes as he milled around my decoys (which I set up way too close). All of a sudden I hear a gobble south of me, but I was afraid to call back because of getting busted. Well, the other tom acted as my live decoy and coaxed this tom within 10 yards. It was a bang and no flop. The 1 1/4 oz #7.5 load dropped him like a hot rock even out of a modified choke.
He has a 9 1/4” beard and 1” and 1 1/8” spurs.
View attachment 471027
View attachment 471040
View attachment 471041

I'm heading out in the next couple of days to try my luck again this year.

What I'm most curious about is how you processed him. Did you do him much like we do the dove and pull the skin with attached feathers away and fillet the breasts ? and call that good ? I would suspect that there's probably not a lot ....and probably pretty tough meat on the legs and thighs. I know the free range chickens I raise and butcher occasionally don't have good meat on the legs and thighs like store bought chicken.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fileted the breast halves and took the hind quarters. I have a proven method for smoking chicken quarters perfectly every time, but the last turkey hind quarters I smoked were tough as boot leather. I intend to give them one more try.

Though I don’t have any experience to speak from but that would have been my guess. Legs and thighs tough beyond use. When processing my home grown chickens I have found it best to just boil/simmer in my turkey fry pot until the meat falls off the bone and use the picked off meat for enchiladas, noodles, etc.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I do with wild turkey legs/thighs. Usually a pot pie or tetrazzini or something similar.

I had a rough opening day in the wind. One gobble early this morning, but nothing showed. Turns out, I caught them going to roost this evening while I was out driving past the private property that borders the public. I know exactly where they are now and I'll be waiting in the morning. About 5 big toms in the group.

Fantastic turkey retrieverman!

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No luck this morning. Only heard one gobble way off. Wind was blowing so hard I sat out the afternoon and didn’t go back out till about 530. This guy showed up with 6 other gobblers. Biggest group of birds I’ve seen in years. Nice to see that many.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.jpeg
    IMG_1550.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom