We call him Medussa...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What a wierd animal. I'm sure the lack of testicles has something to do with it. I'd do my best to put that pic, and your autopsy in the hands of the area biologist, or send it to Mike Sams at ODW in an email.
I know taxidermist can preserve antlers in velvet, so you might consult with one, as well as skulls unlimited.

ChaseH

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took a cactus buck last weekend and I dropped it off at the taxidermist. I had been telling myself that I was going to Euro mount it until I killed it then thought a full shoulder mount would look better. The guy said that there was a few ways he does them but all would damage the velvet. So that made my mind up for me to just full mount it. The beetles will eat it, boiling it will damage it from the heat and chemicals will also damage it. He said as long as the antler is hard the velvet will stay without an injection but he always does just in case. These cactus bucks are a lot more common than I thought they were. I had never seen/heard of one till I started catching mine on camera shortly after I bought the place. Nice kill for the wifey and either way you mount it it will turn out cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom