What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded some more 6.5. I got a couple of different power chargers and seated the round back at several different lengths. Changed primers from CCI #34 to CCI BR-2.

Let’s see how these work out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran into similar issues with SD's going wonky when I used a wet pin tumbler on my brass. This was with .308 Federal Match. I stopped it and now use my sonic cleaner, dehydrate at 110 degrees for a few hours, then tumble in corn cob with some Dillon polish if needed. It has helped a lot.

That's along the lines of what I needed to hear. I am going to try several ways and record velocities to see if there is a trend among ES and SD. Not that 24 and 9 is bad really...but I was getting spoiled with single-digit ES across a variety of loads.

Might find something I stick with for years.

FWIW, my overall velocities with Varget and the 123gr Scenar were within 5 FPS of what they were with virgin brass.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's along the lines of what I needed to hear. I am going to try several ways and record velocities to see if there is a trend among ES and SD. Not that 24 and 9 is bad really...but I was getting spoiled with single-digit ES across a variety of loads.

Might find something I stick with for years.

FWIW, my overall velocities with Varget and the 123gr Scenar were within 5 FPS of what they were with virgin brass.
I keep reading that over tumbling is kind of hard peaning the brass? Not sure if that's the terminology or not, but there could be some truth.

I just loaded up some more seating depth test subjects at 40.9 grains of H4350 to test when my bolt is returned, and reminded me of how much I prefer a little carbon in the neck when seating.

I spoiled myself rotten loading this 300 PRC and sub 5 SD's. I didn't load a bad load the entire time. I wish everything went so smooth

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep reading that over tumbling is kind of hard peaning the brass? Not sure if that's the terminology or not, but there could be some truth.

I just loaded up some more seating depth test subjects at 40.9 grains of H4350 to test when my bolt is returned, and reminded me of how much I prefer a little carbon in the neck when seating.

I spoiled myself rotten loading this 300 PRC and sub 5 SD's. I didn't load a bad load the entire time. I wish everything went so smooth

I do know that resizing especially, and then firing works the brass a lot more than tumbling with pins. However, if you anneal, you can get the hardness of the neck and shoulder back down to close (if not completely) to the original state.

I have mixed my process up many times over the years. Currently I resize, tumble, anneal, trim/chamfer/debur, then use a mandrel before priming and powder.

I wasn't a big annealing fan, but after splitting ~80% of the necks on some hot .223 loads in LC brass on just the 3rd loading...I became an annealing fan.

20+ years ago...I also used to just arbitrarily crank my sizing die down 1/4 turn past bottoming out on my shell holder too...probably was bumping the shoulders .008 - .010 😄. The things you do when you're new. Was only getting 2-3 reloads out of Black Hills .308 brass before the case head bulge was too large for me to feel comfortable about. You look back at the things you used to do and think "what a moron".

Where I caught on board with your post is that maybe I'm leaving an inconsistent amount of residue inside the neck or case body...and maybe that is causing a slight variation in bullet release or velocity. I think you're on to something here that can help me, and I appreciate your sharing. I know that zero residue works well, because I've had ES and SDs as low as 4 and 1 on virgin brass...but when you partially clean, maybe something is there.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I loaded some 9mm and 38’s to see if some 71 year old Winchester primers my buddy picked up at the flea market will go bang. Put a couple on the anvil and smacked them with a hammer, they were pretty loud so I imagine they’ll work

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided that with the weather nice I was going to ignore more important projects and prep 223 brass that's been sitting for a year. Basically, every night I've got the following going:
1. Lube up a bunch of brass
2. Load the 650 to size/decap all of them.
3. Trim brass (I hate this part but I've got a new souvenir callus to help me!)
4. Swage brass
5. Chamber/deburr
6. Wet Tumble/ separate and dry.

Sure they come out looking like new, but at what cost. My delicate hands are getting beat up! Only a few thousand more to go. Then I have to decide if I want to store them primed or not I suppose.

Latest posts

Top Bottom