What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't shoot off a bipod much anymore, just bags but when I did, the bipod bounce was an issue. I took some of the bounce out by clamping a 2X4 on the bench and preloading the bipod against the board. It seemed to work for me.
I've seen guys at the club do that. I didn't know that was to stop it. Good looking out

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't shoot off a bipod much anymore, just bags but when I did, the bipod bounce was an issue. I took some of the bounce out by clamping a 2X4 on the bench and preloading the bipod against the board. It seemed to work for me.
You might try taking a ratchet strap around the bench and a yoga mat covering the table. Then load the bipod agents the strap.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen guys at the club do that. I didn't know that was to stop it. Good looking out

It CAN help...but in my case it also caused me to vary my amount of force used to load my bipod into my drilled board. +/- a few pounds of force = change in recoil impulse = slight change in POI. You don't notice it until you break position...but once you break position and have to reload your bipod it can rear its ugly head.

The result was I took a 3/8 MOA load and made it a 3/4 MOA load when I was single feeding the rifle.

Bipod loading is just another consistency point in the execution of fundamentals. I'm sure that I could probably train myself to do better with pressing my bipod into a board...but as decent as I'm able to get accuracy results doing the way that I do...is the juice worth the squeeze regarding trying to drill wood supports into my concrete patio everywhere? In my case: No.

FWIW, my DOPE between shooting off a 63" round bale of hay is .2 mils higher than my earth bipod DOPE (very similar to shooting off concrete). I do a lot of shooting from that position in the summer and fall. Killed a couple nice bucks doing that during deer season. Round bales make great rests and good places to hide.

This is a long topic, so I'll shut up now. Haven't reloaded anything today yet either...

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Question @diggler1833

I run Atlas bipods and typically have the feet forward off when shooting off the bench to get super low. I haven't noticed this at all when in this position and loading the bipod just until the feet catch on my mat.

Could this be a cure for it?

Test it at distance on concrete & grass and let me know...I might just switch everything to a feet forward bipod.

I think a mat is definitely going to help muffle the vibration some. 75% of the critters I shoot at any distance are off my front/side porch, and time is limited...but recreational shooting is different.

Either way I'd have to remember to add or subtract .1. - .2.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Broke down some factory "match" 7.62x54r. Did some fiddling with the innards.
Weighed and measured and mixed and matched the bullets and cases.

Lowered the powder charge in 4 steps over 20 cartridges. Next is testing.

Bet I can make it better.
I went and shot the modified cartridges.

The factory powder charge averaged at 49.1 grains, for 2535 fps from my Sako Finn M39. I lowered the charge in 4 steps; 47.1, 46.1, 45.1, and 44.1 grains. I neck-sized the unfired brass, recharged the cases with the modified powder charge, and presented the bullet to factory OAL.

After firing 5 rounds each, I settled on the 45.1-grain charge of factory powder, for 2236 (avg) fps.

I dismantled 45 rounds, and re-loaded them with the new powder charge. Today I went and fired some, preparing for the 300-yard portion of the upcoming Military Benchrest Match.

After getting on target, here's my final 5 rounds. I fired a total of under 20 rounds.

Keep in mind, this at 300 yards with issue iron sights. The black bull is 19" across, and at 300 yards it looks smaller in diameter than the front sight width.
20230416_115108.jpg

The 4 o'clock shot was the first, with the wind blowing in my face. The next 4 shots were timed for a lull in the wind, and my eyes weren't watering as bad.

That 300 fps break in the muzzle velocity resulting from the powder charge modification certainly makes that ammo easier on the shoulder, and a good bit more accurate; at least for me.

I toldja I could make that 'Match' Ammo better.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went and shot the modified cartridges.

The factory powder charge averaged at 49.1 grains, for 2535 fps from my Sako Finn M39. I lowered the charge in 4 steps; 47.1, 46.1, 45.1, and 44.1 grains. I neck-sized the unfired brass, recharged the cases with the modified powder charge, and presented the bullet to factory OAL.

After firing 5 rounds each, I settled on the 45.1-grain charge of factory powder, for 2236 (avg) fps.

I dismantled 45 rounds, and re-loaded them with the new powder charge. Today I went and fired some, preparing for the 300-yard portion of the upcoming Military Benchrest Match.

After getting on target, here's my final 5 rounds. I fired a total of under 20 rounds.

Keep in mind, this at 300 yards with issue iron sights. The black bull is 19" across, and at 300 yards it looks smaller in diameter than the front sight width.
View attachment 368412

The 4 o'clock shot was the first, with the wind blowing in my face. The next 4 shots were timed for a lull in the wind, and my eyes weren't watering as bad.

That 300 fps break in the muzzle velocity resulting from the powder charge modification certainly makes that ammo easier on the shoulder, and a good bit more accurate; at least for me.

I toldja I could make that 'Match' Ammo better.

That is awesome.

Latest posts

Top Bottom