What would you do in my shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I work at one of my "dream jobs" right now. I get to be a mechanic for John Deere. I've worked there for less than a year. They treat me great, most of my coworkers are good, and life is good. Only downside is that I don't make anywhere near what I could make of I went down the street and worked somewhere else. But working for a small dealership, my opportunities for advancement are very limited, and pretty much I'm limited to waiting for seniority (won't happen) and someone above me to croak/retire. So I'm stuck doing what I'm doing. Which isn't terrible, but I don't want a dead end job. I don't have vacation time for this entire year, as I was hired after the first, and the most I get is a week a year. I have great benefits though. Also, I keep seeing more and more favoritism around here. Which makes things even less favorable for me.

What has made me think about this is the fact that my buddy recently got hired on at tinker afb, and tells me that they need mechanics and such. Badly. I know plenty of people who have worked at tinker all their lives, and don't mind it. There's opportunity to move up, and always new jobs. Way more so than my current job within an 80 employee company. I would also be starting at 6ish dollars more an hour. I wouldn't mind doing what work they have on base, and the money is sorely needed. Right now, I live comfortably, and can buy toys and such. But even if I wasn't buying toys, my wages are barely going to cover the living expenses for me to purchase a 70k house here in the city. Wouldnt leave me a lot of breathing room at the end of the month. Like less than $200 dollars left over after bills kind of breathing room.

What would you guys do? What would you suggest? Should I try leaving asap if I can get on with the Feds? Or should I hold off for my year mark at my present job? Or just suck it up and stay where I am at for the sake of loyalty? I want somewhere I can stay and work. Make good money, and build a life. A career. I feel John Deere can offer that, but not at this dealership.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think working for John Deere is great on your resume. Do you want it to say 6 months or at least a year?

Secondly I am much like you I am looking for pay and benefits. So depending on what the other job is offering I wouldnt move. Though you wont know until you apply.

gl89aw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go where the money/benefits are as long as it is a reputable outfit. Nobody will look out for you any better than you can

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to help you by showing you some of the things you wrote...

Only downside is that I don't make anywhere near what I could make
my opportunities for advancement are very limited
I don't want a dead end job.
I don't have vacation time for this entire year, the most I get is a week a year.
I have great benefits though. Great compared to what?(1 week/yr not great)
I keep seeing more and more favoritism around here.
Which makes things even less favorable for me.

There's opportunity to move up, and always new jobs. Way more so than my current job within an 80 employee company.
I would also be starting at 6ish dollars more an hour.

I want somewhere I can stay and work. Make good money, and build a life.
A career. I feel John Deere can offer that, but not at this dealership.

But you aren't working for John Deere, you are working for an independently owned Dealership aren't you? If that's the case, and it is family owned, and you aren't family, then you will likely never be able to advance there.

Life long careers at companies are pretty much a thing of the past. Even the companies recognize it and gear benefits towards those that tend to be more inclined to move around.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Retired federal employee here. No regrets. Downsizing of the military right now is going to make for more competition for those jobs at Tinker. I would not wait. Like someone said, "Nobody will look out for you any better than you can" Good Luck

Osage48

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loyalty is only good if it works both ways. If things get slow, would they lay you off? If the answer is yes, then you have your answer!!

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO, stay at Deere for at least a year. You don't want the reputation of someone who just hops around. Use that time to improve your skills. Volunteer for every hard/crap assignment and learn everything you can from them. Make yourself indispensable there and build your network. Learn what "excellent" work is and do that to your standards.

Then, at your one-year anniversary (preferably two-year anniversary), look around and evaluate other options. Don't let work comfort and personal friendships sway you here. Don't think about benefits as much as you think about salary. Then, go for the most money you can earn. Let Deere fight for you to stay (since you're dispensable there) and honor their offer if it makes sense. Then, at your new gig, start all over, volunteering and learning and making yourself indispensable there. This is how careers are made.

Good luck. Go get 'em.

Latest posts

Top Bottom