What would you do in my shoes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like a no brainer to me. Apply at tinker. Who cares if your resume says 6 months at John Deere? You worked there for 6 months, got a better opportunity, and moved on. I work a federal job right now....a lot of people who get these jobs stay on for awhile. I wouldn't leave my job unless something ALOT better came along, and then I would in a heartbeat. And I LOVE my job.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm real strong leaning towards tinker guys, I really appreciate all the opinions. Another thing I have realized is that with my 4 years active duty, that should (?) count towards my federal retirement. One thing that fed has over deere is the retirement. With a .gov job I get a pension and a 401 or 457 setup. With deere I have my 401k, and that's it. Will the dealership lay me off? I don't know. I don't think so, there's been one layoff in the past 4 years, but the guys they laid off, they kinda did them dirty, from what I heard. They refuse to negotiate money and such, and I doubt that a year with the dealership will give me any leverage with earning higher ground. I top out on deere's pay scale at $28/hr, which will take me years. I really push myself and want to be making that kinda money in 2 or three years, and with somewhere I can stay.
I really don't want to have the 6 months at deere making me look like I'm bouncing around, however, I'm looking for somewhere to stay. If I can have the stability and income I'm being told I will have at tinker, then I don't see why I would be leaving. I'll be purchasing a house soon. A house, stability, and being able to have enough money to go have a little fun and take care of my bills is good enough for me to stick around just about anywhere.

Enlist. Save your country from the terrorist hordes looking to destroy it.

Obama needs you.

Been there done that. Don't really give a crap about Obama.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay where you are. Get hurt. File disabilty. Take whatever's left after the lawyers cut, move to Arkansas, buy 5 acres, build a shop, R & R auto transmissions. Get a fishing pole. Or....

Serially, retired Tinker 12 yrs ago. Don't be the guy that thinks he has to put in 60 hrs a week to keep his job. They'll catch on and treat you like $^%%! Be your own man and let 'em all know they can kiss you azz and you'll not end up a washed up brain dead gov't worker. (ie: don't take the easy road)

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would definitely try to get on at tinker. I have a bunch of family that works there and they are happy. They have good pay and benefits. And all the leave you need. Good luck to ya.

Latest posts

Top Bottom