When it rains, it pours... :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Argh.

We have 2 window unit ACs in the living room. One has been on it's way out for a couple years, so I figured I'd replace it this spring.

Getting kinda warm today (77-81), so I cleaned the filter on the "good" one and turned it on. It ain't working either, and it was working fine the last time we used it.

The compressor comes on, but don't sound like it's carrying a load. Which it's obviously not, or it'd likely be cooling. Started out showing 76 degrees, it's now showing 79.

I went outside and whacked the compressor on the top and bottom edges with a small hammer and punch (hoping for a stuck valve), but so far no luck.

If it don't start working, I'm looking at replacing two units instead of one. Cost ain't the problem, I actually have two new ones on hand (a lesson learned from an AC failure in late August one year when nobody local keeps 'em in stock). Physical labor is where my deficit lies.

At least I (hopefully) have some time before the weather gets too hot. Think I'll try a bigger hammer and punch.

If nothing else, I'll get the satisfaction of whacking the daylights out of it...
:drunk2:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if your whack job gets it rumbling along , you may want to go ahead and get it switched out before it hits swamp weather and decides to bite the bullet!!
Well, it hasn't so far. And I whacked it pretty good with a fair-sized ball-peen and punch.

All I have to show for my effort is a sore thumb joint from when the punch wasn't as square on the compressor as I thought. :hithead:

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where are you located?

Maybe one of us can come help you wrestle them around.
Man, I really appreciate the offer.

The problem is that I literally can't make any plans. I never know when Sweetie will let me sleep, or (even if she does) that I'll feel like doing anything - including getting up at a decent hour.

She didn't sleep any last night (that I know of), and it was about 9:00am when I finally got her to stay in bed and go to sleep. She can get by on so little sleep most days that it's plumb scary.

They're not all that heavy (I take 'em out in a wheelbarrow, so not much lifting to the windows), I just have to catch a day when I feel like doing stuff.

Right now, the toilet project is still at the top of the list. Lol, sorry for all the whining.

Thanks again. I'm in southern Marshall county btw. :drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom