When it rains, it pours... :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My central AC unit won’t work at the moment. The outside unit fans will run for a bit and then shut off and then it just hums. I am having my AC guy come out but he told me it has to be above 70 or the Freon reading won’t be right. I get hot easy so here lately it has sucked. But thankfully it ain’t mid summer. I’m about ready to just get a whole new system. Mine is 12 years old and is too small for my home so it struggles to cool it off. I want a bigger and better one. But dropping close to $10K doesn’t thrill me too much.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My central AC unit won’t work at the moment. The outside unit fans will run for a bit and then shut off and then it just hums. I am having my AC guy come out but he told me it has to be above 70 or the Freon reading won’t be right. I get hot easy so here lately it has sucked. But thankfully it ain’t mid summer. I’m about ready to just get a whole new system. Mine is 12 years old and is too small for my home so it struggles to cool it off. I want a bigger and better one. But dropping close to $10K doesn’t thrill me too much.

I know that pain. Over the space of 2 years I dropped 10k in my hvac due to a sloppy first guy. He didn't finish the weld on the lower side, then blamed my a-coil for the leak. I had another company come out and replace the A-coil and heater, still had a leak. They came back out, found the leak on the low side weld and I had them swap out the compressor. Should have had them upgrade the size as well (original R22 was a 2.5 ton, should have gone up to a 3.5 ton which my new a-coil could handle at max). Now have a working system, but it struggles on hot days due to the new coolant not being as efficient as R22 was.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had AC when a kid, even in school. We had a swamp cooler in the living room and that was it.
We are getting soft as a human race.
That being said with a big chest thump, we freaked out when ours failed a couple of years ago. The new units are much more efficient, but shop wisely, and investigate what unit and how efficient they are.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never had AC when a kid, even in school. We had a swamp cooler in the living room and that was it.
We are getting soft as a human race.
That being said with a big chest thump, we freaked out when ours failed a couple of years ago. The new units are much more efficient, but shop wisely, and investigate what unit and how efficient they are.

Same here with the swamp cooler....lord it was hot back then!

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my dad was so cheap he wouldn't run the water over/on the swamp cooler, so we had a big fan 2 or 3 times a summer. slept with all the windows open to catch the non breeze.

i have a brand new in the box 5000 btu LG you can have if it would be helpful.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just don't believe Jason White owns ACS. LOL!

That's who I used the 2nd time. So far they have been pretty good to us with the exception that I was supposed to get a signed football for the heater AND the compressor, never got either one lol. My wife still gives the techs that come out for maintenance about it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom