False Brandishing Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have only been carrying for 3 1/2 weeks and I am coming up on an anniversary of sorts that has got me to thinking. Sorry if this turns out a little long.
Almost 3 years ago I was traveling from Tulsa to Guthrie for the Wildlife Expo. When I got to Stroud, a Highway Patrolman got in behind me and lit me up, so I pulled over. He immediately got out, drew his weapon and took up a position behind his door. He demanded to see my hands out the window. Now I'm thinking that I'm driving a similar car to some criminal. He had me get out and walk backwards to the car and kneel down. He placed cuffs on me and wanted to know where the weapon was. I told him I had a pocket knife, but he wanted to know where the gun was. I told him that I didn't have a gun and that he must have the wrong vehicle. He said no, these were the right tags and wanted me to tell him where the gun was. Now I was totally confused.
Another officer arrived and the first searched my car. At this point I was told that some young men had called in saying that I had waved a gun at them. At this point I remembered the incident from 25 miles up the turnpike. Three teenagers in a pickup had ran up real close to me. I tapped my brakes to get them to back off. After I finished passing a semi I got over to the right. I was expecting these kids to drive pass me and give me the finger. When they got to my left rear bumper, they unexpectantly slowed and got in behind me. This surprised me but I soon forgot about it as 1/2 mile further on they took the Bristow exit.
Obviously, these kids are smarter than most and decided that making a report of me waving a gun would cause me more trouble than giving me the finger. They were right. Luckily I had nothing remotely looking like a gun in the car and the officers let me go eventually. If I had been in my truck that I normally drive, I would have had a old piece of crap Arminius 22mag pistol behind the seat. It was never loaded, but it would have given them something to confirm the boys claim.
Nowadays, I am always armed, besides not tapping my brakes for tailgaters to avoid this, what would I have to do to prove my innocence on a false report like this? Would I lose my ccl or have it suspended on a shot in the dark claim by another driver?

Two funny things happened along with this. The first officer was shocked and momentarily very alarmed when he opened the tub that I had in the trunk and saw the face and mustard colored buck teeth of one of the 5 frozen beavers it contained which were to be used for skinning demos at the Expo. The look on his face when he stepped back and grasped the grip of his pistol was priceless. I think that he beilieved that he had caught Jeffery Dharma and Charles Manson all rolled up in one. And 2nd, the cuffs that he used on me failed to unlock and 3 sets of keys wouldn't unlock them. After 25 minutes, a trip into Stroud and multiple color changes to my hands, he was able to grind down a key that would work on the cuffs.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow; that would definitely be something to remember. It couldn't have been a pleasant experience at all.

I'd also be interested in knowing what something like that could result in.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I guess you are guilty until proven innocent. Or in this case, until proven unarmed. How would you get out of that if you had been armed? I don't go anywhere unarmed but I would never wave it at somebody. I'm afraid I'd be screwed!

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would assume that there was no follow up on the false report based on the assumption that all they would claim was that 'they were sure that they saw a gun'. If I was an officer I would believe that it was a dead end and not waste my time on something I couldn't prove one way or the other. All he would know is that there was nothing in the car when he searched, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have had a toy gun that I threw away prior to him arriving on the scene. Without a gun he couldn't assume anything. With a gun, he can assume that the odds are in favor of the callers. Even if the odds of false reporting a vehicle with an actual gun is getting better by the day, at least by the # if CCL's being issued. I will admit, I was not angry but rather amused at the whole thing. I mean this false report cost me 30 minutes on the side of the road handcuffed. Plus another 25 minutes of being hauled into Stroud to get the cuffs off. But I was impressed by the brilliance of the kids, maybe there is some hope for the future.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would assume that there was no follow up on the false report based on the assumption that all they would claim was that 'they were sure that they saw a gun'. If I was an officer I would believe that it was a dead end and not waste my time on something I couldn't prove one way or the other. All he would know is that there was nothing in the car when he searched, but that doesn't mean I couldn't have had a toy gun that I threw away prior to him arriving on the scene. Without a gun he couldn't assume anything. With a gun, he can assume that the odds are in favor of the callers. Even if the odds of false reporting a vehicle with an actual gun is getting better by the day, at least by the # if CCL's being issued. I will admit, I was not angry but rather amused at the whole thing. I mean this false report cost me 30 minutes on the side of the road handcuffed. Plus another 25 minutes of being hauled into Stroud to get the cuffs off. But I was impressed by the brilliance of the kids, maybe there is some hope for the future.
I see your point, but it begs back to your original question. What if you had been carrying? You'd likely been charged and convicted. It's not an amusing issue to me. :twocents:

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You took it much better than I would have. I would be none too pleased to have ANYONE point a gun at me based on an anonymous caller.
It's a tricky situation I concede, but being on the receiving end would be a hard pill to swallow. Especially after being cuffed and scuffed with no key to release you.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree with you now. At the time it was amusing, now that I have assumed the responsibility of carrying a firearm I have to consider this from another view point. I have read everything I can to better understand the pros and cons of concealed carry and I have been shocked by what I had not contemplated before nor even knew to contemplate. I had not seen anything addressing this and I had hoped that someone could offer some advice on things I or anyone else could do if this happens again. I would be curious on how many of these calls are made and if they are on the rise. I can't imagine that these guys didn't tell their buddies about it and if they then tried it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree with you now. At the time it was amusing, now that I have assumed the responsibility of carrying a firearm I have to consider this from another view point. I have read everything I can to better understand the pros and cons of concealed carry and I have been shocked by what I had not contemplated before nor even knew to contemplate. I had not seen anything addressing this and I had hoped that someone could offer some advice on things I or anyone else could do if this happens again. I would be curious on how many of these calls are made and if they are on the rise. I can't imagine that these guys didn't tell their buddies about it and if they then tried it.
When you carry, a lot of things change. What once would have been just an inconvenient hassle can now have very serious implications on one's life. And I guarantee the kids didn't care one way or the other.

:pissed:

Latest posts

Top Bottom