shooting over feed?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that it is legal to use feeders here in oklahoma, but are you allowed to shoot them at the feeders? i thought that you had to shoot them on their way to or from the feeder, but i see a lot of people on here talking about shooting over the feeders. Does that mean that it is legal to set up right by the food plot or feeder? thanks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is no regulation about hunting anywhere neer a feeder. You can put your stand right on it, if you want.

The State Of Ok says that there is no difference in hunting a feeder VS hunting a harvested corn field with lots of ears left on the ground, or a soy bean field, or a milo field with lots of grain left after the harvest. I agree with them.

I put out feeders, but in the 20 or so years of doing so, have never shot a underneath a feeder. I have no objection to someone doing that but what I've found is that the biggest bucks will stage in the cover, waiting for darkness as they are primarilary nocturnal feeders. In my area, cover is an issue as the nearest tree/woods is over a mile away and not in my hunting area. In an area where there are timber with openings and food plots and feeders, that may hold true. I just set up on trails leading to my area in some scrub tree.

What I do is put a camera on a feeder that tells me what deer are in the area, and If lucky can tell what direction they are coming from. What you will see on this forum from me, is a feeder with deer under it. Thats how I find out.

Thats not my hunting spot. Again, all areas of Ok are different. You have to do what you have to do. If you only have a small area, and you need to put a feeder on it to attract deer, GO FOR IT! If you want to stalk and spot and you have the area to do that(I don't) GO FOR IT!

If you want to trash somebody that has feeders out, I don't want to hear your BS. As long as its legal in Ok, its ethical.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a feeder out year round. I feed turkeys, deer and pigs. My wife kills deer under it and so will my boys. Its money just about every time and thats great for kids and women. I like killing the hogs under it.

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkeys may not be hunted or taken within 100 yards of any bait. Baiting is the placing, exposing, depositing, distributing or scattering of shelled, shucked or unshucked corn, wheat or other grain or other feed so as to constitute for such birds a lure, attraction or enticement, on or over any area where hunters are attempting to take them. The taking of turkey over standing crops, grain crops, properly shucked on the field where grown or grain found scattered solely as the result of normal agricultural operations is permitted.

Out of the regulations book.

reagorfu

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to trash somebody that has feeders out, I don't want to hear your BS. As long as its legal in Ok, its ethical.

sorry if you thought that i was trash talking people that use feeders, because i was not. I was saying that it pisses me off that I had an argument with my step-dad about this and I was totally wrong. lol

Just seeing what was legal, I plan on taking out a bunch of corn out to my spot in the trail next to a big ceder. If some people call it cheap, thats cool with me, I call it dinner.

I really just wanted to make sure that I don't get a huge fine, and my bow and my truck taken away for doing something illegal.
Thanks

By the way, do I need a feeder, or can i just put it on the ground on the trail?

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
By the way, do I need a feeder, or can i just put it on the ground on the trail?

If you hunt regularly you could spread a little every time you go.A feeder is ideal but you need to get a big one I have two 6 gals and they last about five days which sounds ok until you are filling them.Like Dennis said it is not a magical solution for killing deer like some think. Its at best a pause that will allow a clean kill.I have never killed a deer under a feeder but I was waiting on P&Y type bucks.The does stop and browse but the bigger bucks usually passed by quickly

Latest posts

Top Bottom