Gun Oil Corrosion Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't quite know where to put this. Mods if this ain't it feel free to move. I did a little corrosion test on some of the popular products out there. I was mostly curious about Froglube and Fireclean because I've been using both lately and like both very much for their resistance to carbon buildup and ease of cleaning. I was just curious as to their corrosion protection and how they compared with the others which I was already familiar with. Bottom line is they both impressed me very much. Froglube is my primary lube now.

I started this test on February 6, 2013. Here are the products and the panel that I used. It is a computer case panel that I solvent wiped with a wax and degreaser followed by wiping with acetone. I then power sanded it with 80 grit emory sandpaper, and cleaned it again thoroughly with acetone. I then applied the products. On the Froglube, I tested both the liquid and paste versions two different ways. I heated the panel with a hair dryer, applied each, let it set for 30 minutes and wiped it all off with a clean and unused micro fibre towel. I also applied each Froglube product just like the label instructions say leaving a light film (with no heat prior), IOW just right out of the container. All other products were applied and a very light film left on the surface. This panel has been outside in my backyard in the open air, exposed directly to snow, sleet, rain, hail, fog and morning dew ever since 2/6/2013. It has been wet more times than I care count.

The products:

[Broken External Image]

The Panel right before application:

[Broken External Image]

Over 30 days later (March 10)

[Broken External Image]

Almost 3.5 MONTHS later (pic taken today)

[Broken External Image]

As you can see the Froglube paste is out performing even the Mobil 1 motor oil and it seems at least equal to Eezox if not better. In other words, simply outstanding! I would also mention that the Fireclean held up well for a very long time and the CLP started rusting almost as fast as the control patch which had absolutely nothing on it. I was pretty skeptical of the whole Froglube "seasoning" thing that you see all over youtube and Froglube's website but it would seem that there may actually be something to it. The only patch on this panel that is still rust free is the Froglube paste that was heated, applied, allowed to set and cool and then wiped completely off! You can draw your own conclusions...

FYI, The patch at the center/bottom has no Froglube applied BELOW those vent holes, that area is bare.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to do this...I actually switched over completey to FL (mainly because it isn't as toxic as others and it smells good when working with it)

The fact that it may actually work better is icing!

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone else impressed by the Mobil1 performance? I have to say that it seems kinda ironic to me to be calling Mobil1 "cheap" but $6 for a quart seems cheap compared to the other gun specific rust preventatives. Nice to know that what I'm using is worth continuing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else impressed by the Mobil1 performance? I have to say that it seems kinda ironic to me to be calling Mobil1 "cheap" but $6 for a quart seems cheap compared to the other gun specific rust preventatives. Nice to know that what I'm using is worth continuing.

Kurt Miller (of this forum) has been advocating using Mobil 1 for years.

Its what I use because of his advice, and this test confirms it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom