Penetrating oils and test.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would say acetone is actually more flammable than gasoline in a situation where it is exposed to air since it's the vapors you have to look out for. Take a teaspoon of gasoline and a teaspoon of acetone and spread them on a surface. The acetone evaporates faster and with more vapor in the air the chance of fire is very high. It's definitely not something that you want to smoke around.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of things that may or may not apply to this thread.

1. Water is considered as a universal solvent. That is why glasses will break easily after a lot of use. This may be why water can dissolve rust that is caused by water. (But, I'm not a chemist, so who knows?)

2. WD-40 seems to have a reputation of being a substance that attracts dirt. Some RV's have hydraulic cylinders that are used to raise and lower the front of the RV and to level them side to side. Many RV'ers have stated to NEVER use WD-40 to apply to the rams on those hydraulic cylinders because of the tendency to attract the dirt.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WD-40 is neat stuff for some applications, but multiple sprayings (without cleaning) does result in a gooey buildup.

Been there. :drunk2:

Liquid Wrench is a true penetrating oil that doesn't do that. ;)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He finally took the small engine and submerged it for a week in water.
He said water makes rust and it also breaks rust.
Well he must have been right because when he pulled it out you could now get the crank to turn and pistons were moving.

Lots going on when trying to penetrate or soften rust.
Soaking rusted things in water to "soften" the rust is an old oilfield welder's trick.

At least that's what the old oilfield welder told me.

I can't say it has ever worked particularly well for me, though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom