Backpacking in the Wichitas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm having a heck of a time finding any info on trail-lengths, primitive-camping allowed, routes, or anything else other than just the day-hike near Camp Dorris or really limited info on a few loops and trails here and there (most of which don't have a lot of info).

I'm looking to do an overnight (possible a 3-day) hike in the Wichitas with the family to get in some practice before we try and hit something bigger out of state (and the ultimate family goal is somewhere in Peru and a backpack trip up to an ancient ruin).

I'm looking at Charon's Garden Loop in addition to Elk Mountain, and Apple and Pear Loop but it seems like every source for hiking in this state is trying to lock down all the necessary info to paid subscriptions (unless I'm just not able to find it).

I'm on Summitpost.org's site and found a few maps and what not, but no real info on backpacking or any serious trail-info.

Anyone done an overnight or 3-day trip in that neck of the woods that has pointers? I'm looking at between 15 and 25 miles depending on how long we plan on staying (we've done 13 mile day-hikes and a couple of small 10 mile overnight hikes with full-gear). Is that even possible in that area? Seems like it should be with all the wilderness area they have.

http://www.summitpost.org/wichita-mountains/171222#chapter_6

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Found this - but it's missing several of the trails:

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/map-trails.pdf#a

Edited to add: I guess my issue is that a lot of the area info shows bits and pieces of single trails or loops with no info on how to get from one to the other (which if you can't and one must drive from one to the other, then cool - but it sure seems like you could hike around a long way in there so surely someone could get from one trail to the next on foot).

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The "map-trails.pdf" looks to be reasonably accurate. There used to be a trail from Sunset over to Elk Mountain, but it looks like it's gone now, along with a variety of other more-or-less unofficial trail connections. There never has been much of a round-robin other than what they're calling Bison - most of the others have always been pretty much a matter of walking back the same way or getting dropped off at one end and picked up at the other. You can walk around Quanah Parker - part trails, part roads, and eventually get back to where you started. There also used to be a trail from Osage (the small lake just to the west of Quanah Parker) that went down toward the SE corner of the Narrows trail, I believe. Not sure if it's still visible or accessible though since I don't see it on the current map.

The "map-camp-bc.pdf" also looks about right for the current version of back country camping. I think you may have to register for a class or briefing to make reservations there.

You may want to reference the trails to a topo map before planning; some of them cover some fairly rough ground - would tell you which but it's been too many years since I've hiked them.

Sadly, there's been a continuing decrease in the amount of publicly usable land out there for the past thirty or forty years because of the increasing irresponsibility of some hikers, campers, climbers, etc. that simply had/have no respect for the land or wildlife. As with most things there's been a certain amount of overreaction - including efforts on a couple of occasions to permanently close the through highways to the public.

Enjoy it while you can!

Latest posts

Top Bottom