Should OU suspend basketball players for useing "N" word on national TV?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay my turn.

Why do we not see crap fly when the term honky or cracker is used?

If the frat boys had been singing a nice song and using the "N" word would all be okay? I doubt it, we do have words that are okay for some but not others.

Tell me I am wrong, I was born and spent more than a few years in East LA , being just a few of the white folks in the area as a kid repeating the same stuff I heard daily lead to a fight or two. How do we explain that?
Easily explainable if you consider the contextual/situational differences. My post about ingroup vs. outgroup processes is a great place to start, and it's references the exact context you mention.

There is a double standard. Kind of like how it is not culturally acceptable to smash a woman's face in. Even if she deserves it.
This example (the frat/basketball comparison, nor the "smash a woman's face" example) doesn't demonstrate a double standard. Working forward from the ingroup vs. outgroup perspective...in many cultures, it's acceptable to call each other "******"; however, if you aren't a member of that culture, and using the word in the correct cultural context, it isn't acceptable. This is true in all cultures and subcultures around the world, and is also observed in many non-human animal species. If you are part of the group, some things literally have a different meaning than if you are not part of the group.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Easily explainable if you consider the contextual/situational differences. My post about ingroup vs. outgroup processes is a great place to start, and it's references the exact context you mention.

This example (the frat/basketball comparison, nor the "smash a woman's face" example) doesn't demonstrate a double standard. Working forward from the ingroup vs. outgroup perspective...in many cultures, it's acceptable to call each other "******"; however, if you aren't a member of that culture, and using the word in the correct cultural context, it isn't acceptable. This is true in all cultures and subcultures around the world, and is also observed in many non-human animal species. If you are part of the group, some things literally have a different meaning than if you are not part of the group.

You're making it sound like an anthropological study. WE may know that doesn't hold any negative connotations per se, but I'd like to see you sell that to the hysterical media and hate "hate" groups.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're making it sound like an anthropological study. WE may know that doesn't hold any negative connotations per se, but I'd like to see you sell that to the hysterical media and hate "hate" groups.
I'm simply using evidence from a large body of science that explains the current case. Do you disagree with my statements, or is there some other point? I'm having difficulty understanding your post.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm simply using evidence from a large body of science that explains the current case. Do you disagree with my statements, or is there some other point? I'm having difficulty understanding your post.

I'm saying that even double standards are judged on a double standard. In other words, it's possible for high profile black athletes to use the word on national TV and get a complete pass, yet other "ingroup" usage of otherwise derogatory words and phrases will recieve more scrutiny.

As for the anthropological part, yes you're using science and its perfectly legit. Now go tell someone you're doing an anthropological study on the phenomenon of repurposing derogatory words in black culture, and you'd like to speak with them about it. Let me know how that goes. :)

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saying that even double standards are judged on a double standard. In other words, it's possible for high profile black athletes to use the word on national TV and get a complete pass, yet other "ingroup" usage of otherwise derogatory words and phrases will recieve more scrutiny...
The cases are not equal, and this difference is critical in understanding their differential outcomes.
- frat case: ingroup members referring to outgroup members
- basketball case: ingroup members referring to ingroup members

...As for the anthropological part, yes you're using science and its perfectly legit. Now go tell someone you're doing an anthropological study on the phenomenon of repurposing derogatory words in black culture, and you'd like to speak with them about it. Let me know how that goes. :)
I already did that, and it went well. I (along with a team of scientists from various disciplines) secured a million dollar grant from the NSF for it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The cases are not equal, and this difference is critical in understanding their differential outcomes.
- frat case: ingroup members referring to outgroup members
- basketball case: ingroup members referring to ingroup members

You forgot to mention the other completely different circumstance.

- frat case: Private event showcasing majority "non-inclusive" behavior that was leaked to the media.

- basketball case: Nationally televised event showcasing minority "non-inclusive" behavior that was ignored by the media.

I already did that, and it went well. I (along with a team of scientists from various disciplines) secured a million dollar grant from the NSF for it.

Please enlighten us. It may be educational on more than one level in regards to this debate.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You forgot to mention the other completely different circumstance.

- frat case: Private event showcasing majority "non-inclusive" behavior that was leaked to the media.

- basketball case: Nationally televised event showcasing minority "non-inclusive" behavior that was ignored by the media...
I didn't forget it...it just isn't that important of a factor in identifying racism in these cases.

...Please enlighten us. It may be educational on more than one level in regards to this debate.
Currently an ongoing series of studies. First publication from the work likely at the end of this year, or maybe next year.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
YG are you doing your phd studies in Sociology or IO Psych or ??

Just curious. :) My masters is in sociological field and my sister in law has a phd in IO. There's a lot of science about this that gets lost in all the anecdotes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom