Sooner State Pawn Best Choice Preps The MIGHTY PEN Co 2A Shooting Center Fat Boy Tactical Badshot Gun Show Mark's Firearms

Default J frame disassembly

I've got a little j frame that has a broken hammer spur, instead of replacing the hammer I think I'm just going to bob it since I see no reason for a hammer spur on this gun anyway.

Are there any decent assembly diagrams or exploded views on the interwebs before I tear into it? I'll still probably just go for it tomorrow though. I'll make sure to take it apart in a plastic bad in case anything decides to try and enter orbit.
    "It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing." William Murderface

My Feedback

Default Re: J frame disassembly

Unless you really need to get at the guts of her, there is no reason to disassymble. As long as she is locking up tight, and not out of time leave them insides be.
    It is true that 1911ís will give you GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome).

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us."

The CONSTITUTION is worth the same now as it was 200 years ago. The price was courage, bravery, boldness, and yes sacrifice and even death...BUT it was and IS STILL WORTH IT!

Anti-Lock Evangelist

Agree....You can bob the hammer without disassambly. If you do decide to get into the insides the tricky part will be the rebound spring. Smith's are fun to get inside once you have done it.

I've had one apart before, the trigger assembly is a little tricky to get out and back in. I did it all without a diagram, just go slow, and watch out for the Jesus spring(s).

http://www.snubnose.info/docs/lockwork.htm

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2...th-wesson.html

I wouldn't exactly call it fun, but not too awful bad. I've taken both of my lock guns apart to disable the lock, and both of them still work. In my opinion, assembly was the difficult part. Just go slow and be patient.

I guess I could tape up all the open places and then have at it, worried about crud getting into places it doesn't belong.
    "It's a very deadly weapon to know what you're doing." William Murderface

My Feedback

You can do it. Helps to have the spring tool for the rebound spring but you can do it with a screwdriver or a punch or something.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=397027

great pictures and step by step You may have to log in to see the photos

The Kuhnhausen book is the standard manual. It helps but the link above is pretty good.